"Beagle Channel Tour" Puerto Harberton by kyoub
Puerto Harberton Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 139 photos
Our boat departed at 9:30 am from the tourist pier in Ushuaia, to sail the Beagle Channel, going as far as the Estancia Harberton. First we stopped at Martillo Island, where we saw a small Penguin colony. Then it was on to Estancia Harberton, there we got a guided tour of the area, learning about the ranch history and farm activities. We then had a warming drink in the small restaurant. It was rather chilly walking around Harberton and misting rain. We embarked again and in our way back, we stopped by more islets. Elephant seals were seen on one of them, whereas a variety of birds can be seen on the others.
Estancia Harberton was built in 1886 on a narrow peninsula overlooking the Beagle Channel. Its founder, was missionary Thomas Bridges.
Harberton is named after the Devonshire village where his wife Mary was born. It is still a family ran ranch being handed down from one family member to another.
On the way to the Estancia Harberton, we stopped to have a look at the penguins on Penguin Island. It was raining and the wind was very chilly but we still managed to get a few pictures. No one could get off the boat.
Interesting that there were a few Gentoo species there, they had just started migrating there from Antarctica.
- Pros:Interesting tour
- In a nutshell:A great way to spend a day
I recommend reading the book titled "Uttermost Part of the Earth". It is a book about the history of Tierra del Fuego... more travel advice
Inside the main house you will find Harberton’s Casa de Té Mánacatush. serves a tasty afternoon tea for US$4.50 pp, and... more travel advice
kyoub's Related Pages
Puerto Harberton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The first farm of white settlers in Fireland"
- "Beagle Channel Tour"
- "Going South-East in Latin America"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Puerto Harberton
- Hotels in Puerto Harberton
- Transportation in Puerto Harberton
- Restaurants in Puerto Harberton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Puerto Harberton
- 12 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (116)
Have you been to Puerto Harberton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Puerto Harberton
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 63 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 41 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonaire Intro, 50 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay Intro, 22 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Curaçao Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Borneo Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Rica Intro, 34 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues