"Holy City" Top 5 Page for this destination Phetchaburi by kyoub
Phetchaburi Travel Guide: 74 reviews and 322 photos
In the late 19th century, King Mongkut (Rama IV) built a hill-top palace on the outskirts of Petchaburi town, just 50 km north of Hua Hin.
Phra Nakhon Khiri Palace or Khao Wang Palace had its own observatory, overlooking the river and sea. It was here the King embarked on a study of astronomy that culminated in him accurately predicting the exact time of a solar eclipse.
This 92-metre hillock is on the northern approach to Phetchaburi provincial capital. Phetchaburi residents refer to it as Khao Wang, literally Palace Hill.
The area is now known as Phra Nakhon Khiri National Museum and is open to the public every day from 9.00 AM until 4.00 PM
You don't have to climb the steps to get to the top, there is a cable car that takes you there.
- Pros:Lovely views
- Cons:Very touristy
- In a nutshell:Another great day trip
This is a very elaborate, hand carved Spirit House. more travel advice
kyoub's Related Pages
Phetchaburi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Holy City"
- "A traditional thai town with many nice temples"
- "Petburi, Diamond City"
- "Phetchaburi - busy Thai village with awsome Cave"
- "Welcome relief from Chaam plight"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Phetchaburi
- Hotels in Phetchaburi
- Transportation in Phetchaburi
- Nightlife in Phetchaburi
- Restaurants in Phetchaburi
- Shopping in Phetchaburi
- Warnings and Dangers in Phetchaburi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Phetchaburi
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Phetchaburi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Phetchaburi
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 63 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 41 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonaire Intro, 50 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay Intro, 22 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Curaçao Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Borneo Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Rica Intro, 34 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues