Pulau Langkawi Off The Beaten Path Tips by kyoub
Pulau Langkawi Off The Beaten Path: 49 reviews and 64 photos
The one place that we went and didn't get a picture of was the Kampung Buku Malaysia. It is the first and only book village in South East Asia. It sits in among a lush green forest of trees at the foot of Gunung Raya, the highest peak on the island.
The various houses in the village are stocked with a great variety of new books on numerous topics and languages as well as second-handbooks. Most are written in the Malaysian language but we did find a few in English.
Pantai Pasir Tengkorak is translated as Sandy Skull Beach, it is suggested that once upon a time there was a bloody battle between the locals and the invaders for the possession of this part of Langkawi. There is also a legend about a ship wreck happening here with bones being found on the beach.
What ever happened here it is now a very nice park and the beach is never crowded.
Gunung Raya Mountain is is the tallest mountain on Langkawi. The government ministers have meeting there regularly, if they are not using the bungalows , then the road is open. You can drive on a nice paved roads with a lot of bends and turns until you reach 881 meters above sea level. From the top you can see terrific views out over the island and sea
Walk on the beach
Boats leave the Awana Hotel in Langkawai, several times a day to take hotel guests to Beras Basah Island. It has powdery white sand, blue green waters, and a lot of trees for shade. Do some snorkelling or swimming--or simply relax in the sun. Watch the hermit crabs scurring about.
Palau Dayang Bunting or Island of the Pregnant Maiden. It has a fresh water lake that is renowned for its powers to enhance fertility.
They are several families of monkeys on the island, don't know if they swam in the lake.
This island can be reached by boat.
Down the road from the Awana Hotel is a very special place. A place where you can go to see Hornbills. They come by there early morning and at dusk. You can see them in the trees for several minutes before they move on.
More Reviews (22)
- Duty free shopping
- See All Large Boulders
- Rent a sailboat
- See All Come by cruise ship
- Protect the local wildlife
kyoub's Related Pages
Pulau Langkawi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Langkawi - Historic Mythical Island"
- "LANGKAWI .WHERE THE HEART IS"
- "Pulau Langkawi"
- "Where heaven and earth meets"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pulau Langkawi
- Hotels in Pulau Langkawi
- Transportation in Pulau Langkawi
- Nightlife in Pulau Langkawi
- Restaurants in Pulau Langkawi
- Shopping in Pulau Langkawi
- Warnings and Dangers in Pulau Langkawi
- See All...
Explore the World
- Horn Island Hotels
- Isle of Skye
- Lander Hotels
- Lago di Endine
- Schwangau Hotels
- Ko Sin Thai Hotels
- Seychelles Off The Beaten Path
- Nicaragua Off The Beaten Path
- Kenya Off The Beaten Path
- United Kingdom Off The Beaten Path
- Arlington Off The Beaten Path
- Old-Town Hall & Astronomical Clock
- Down on the Beach
- Jasper National Park Off The Beaten Path
- Plymouth Off The Beaten Path
- Cody Off The Beaten Path
- Tozeur Off The Beaten Path
- Kirksville Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Pulau Langkawi
- 28 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Pulau Langkawi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pulau Langkawi
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 63 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 41 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonaire Intro, 50 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay Intro, 22 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Curaçao Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Borneo Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Rica Intro, 34 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (51)
Latest Pulau Langkawi hotel reviews
- Langkasuka Hotel
- 235 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- The Andaman
- 1245 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Rasa Eksotika Vacation Home
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Tropical Resort
- 112 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Hotel Bahagia
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Beach Garden Resort
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
- Federal Villa Beach Resort
- 128 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Casa Del Mar Hotel
- 1229 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Four Seasons Resort
- 508 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Langkapuri Beach Resort
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2012
- Sri Legenda Garden Resort Langkawi
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Nov 16, 2011
- Charlie Motel & Restaurant
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Helang Hotel
- 141 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013