"Pura Taman Ayun" Mengwi by kyoub
Mengwi Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 96 photos
One of the most impresseve and second largest temples in Bali is the Pura Taman Ayun at Mengwi. Mengwi was until 1891 the center of a powerful kingdom. Pura Taman Ayun was built in 1637, the enlarged to its present form in 1937.
The temple sets on an area 250m by 100m. It consists of a forecourt, central court, and a spacious inner court, all surrounded by a moat. Notice the beautifully carved stone split gate as we enter the temple grounds.
Shrines of varying sizes are topped by menu(tiered) roofs, with small carved wooden doors.
Shrines serve as "sitting places" to receive visiting deities during temple feasts.
The moat gives the impression of a sanctuary in the middle of a pond, explaining the name taman, "garden with a pond".
- Pros:Beautiful temple
- In a nutshell:Worth a special trip
Bring a day bag or backpack with what you will need for an 8 hr trip. Wear lightweight cotton clothing. It is very... more travel advice
If there happens to be a special festival day at a temple you get there how ever you can. They go by truck loads, motor... more travel advice
kyoub's Related Pages
Mengwi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pura Taman Ayun"
- "MENGWI My Third Hometown"
- "Home of the Royal Temple"
- "Mengwi, Bali"
- "Mengwi & Taman Ayun"
- "Under Construction-Pura Taman Ayun Temple"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mengwi
- Hotels in Mengwi
- Transportation in Mengwi
- Shopping in Mengwi
- Warnings and Dangers in Mengwi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mengwi
- 5 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (116)
Have you been to Mengwi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mengwi
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 63 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 41 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonaire Intro, 50 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay Intro, 22 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Curaçao Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Borneo Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Rica Intro, 34 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues