"Hindu temple complex" Top 5 Page for this destination Prambanan by kyoub

Prambanan Travel Guide: 122 reviews and 421 photos

Prambanan Temples

The temples of Prambanan are easily the most outstanding examples of Hindu art. In the 16th century there was an earthquake which toppled many temples. They have recently been restored by the Indonesian Archaeological Service. This has not been an easy task as over the years people have helped themselves to keepsakes and building supplies. Originally there were 232 temples on the Prambanan Plain.
Prambanan is 17km north-east of Yogya and easily visited from there.
Like all tourist attractions it is best to visit early in the morning or late evening to avoid the tour groups. I must say though that we had them almost to ourselves the afternoon that we visited.

• Pros:Outstanding Java art
  • In a nutshell:Beautiful archaeological sight
  • Last visit to Prambanan: Sep 2001
  • Intro Written Nov 27, 2005

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Just as Exotic, historic, and artistic as the first time I read these tips two years ago..what a combination. I appreciate the detailed explanations because I know nothing about the area.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2008 at 2:32 PM

nicely detailed stuff - brought back good memories. ta

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2007 at 9:18 PM

Fantastic mixture of great, exotic art, pretty location and nature. Mysterious place that makes me want to pack and go there now.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2006 at 6:30 AM

There is a wealth of antiquities here--it must have been difficult deciding what to see and when!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2005 at 6:22 AM

Absolutely stunning pic of the Candi Shiva Temple. I enlarged it to get a better look. So many things remind me of the Chichen-Itza ruins in Mexico - "carved in the jungle" " amazing detail". Awesome page Kay.

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2005 at 6:29 AM

Beautiful. Surly one of the great archeological sites of Asia. I raise my glass to you for still going there going despite all the terror warnings and threats.

kyoub

“I choose the path of kindness.”

Badges & Stats in Prambanan

Have you been to Prambanan?

Latest Activity in Prambanan