"Out on the edge" Top 5 Page for this destination Durness by Charlie_UK
Durness Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 115 photos
Durness is the most north-westerley village on mainland Britain. It has a population of about 300 scattered over a couple of miles of barren moorland, backed by wild mountain scenery and perched above the cliffs that lead down to golden beaches and a fulminating sea. It was a popular childhood holiday location for John Lennon, but when I went the most famous musician around was Brian May of Queen, holder of a PHD in astronomy, accompanied by the world famous astronomer Patrick Moore, for Durness was the prime UK location to see the annular (ring) eclipse on the morning of the 31 May 2003. This was very early (just after sunrise) and the summer sunrises are very early indeed. Even in deepest night it is no darker than twilight.
Sadly Patrick and Brian nipped up the coast to Talmine before I got there!
- Pros:Great scenery, good hospitality, superb beach
- In a nutshell:John Lennon never sang "Imagine there's no Durness"!
Well, what else would it be? The gorgeous sandy beaches? The caves? The wild scenery? The friendly locals? Yep, that... more travel advice
Eclipse watching. The last annular eclipse over Britain, in 1921, was also over the far north of Scotland. Only one... more travel advice
Charlie_UK's Related Pages
Durness Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Heading West To Durness"
- "Durness - Cape Wrath"
- "A Fantastic Disaster!!"
- "Out on the edge"
- "The Cape Wrath and the Smoo Cave"
- "sleepy village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Durness
- Hotels in Durness
- Transportation in Durness
- Nightlife in Durness
- Restaurants in Durness
- Warnings and Dangers in Durness
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Durness
- 8 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Durness?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Durness
Photos in DurnessSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durness Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Perth Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Adelaide Intro, 11 reviews, 7 photos
- Sri Lanka Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manchester Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galle Intro, 8 reviews, 7 photos
- Ceduna Intro, 8 reviews, 7 photos
- Kandy Intro, 9 reviews, 5 photos
- Snowdonia 2 reviews, 6 photos