"It aint half hot mum!" Top 5 Page for this destination Galle by Charlie_UK
Galle Travel Guide: 87 reviews and 271 photos
Galle lies on the South coast of Sri Lanka, reputedly the Biblical City of Tarshish and the main port on the island until the sea wall at Colombo was built. While King Solomon may have come here on a big duty-free spree, the city is most notable for the huge 17th century Dutch fort that dominates the town. Within its' walls is a virtual town on it's own, full of Dutch and British colonial buildings. The fort overlooks the international cricket ground, which was why I was here.
Being so solidly built, the fort and the buildings within were largely unscathed by the tsunami. However the waters flowing in either side caused devastation in the city, with the bus station being the worst death trap. The cricket ground was left in ruins, but plans are afoot to redevelop it, with optimists looking to have a Test match staged there as early as 2006.
Locals love to create a bit of atmosphere at sporting events, with brass instruments and drums accompanying the flag... more travel advice
This is a special warning for anyone visiting for cricket purposes: As the ground is on a big roundabout, expect a man... more travel advice
Charlie_UK's Related Pages
Galle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Under construction - please be patient."
- "Colonial Galle"
- "It aint half hot mum!"
- "Galle Fort - A World Heritage Site"
- "Galle & the beautiful coast"
- "Cultural gem in southern Sri Lanka."
- "GALLE - not much change since colonial times !"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Galle
- Hotels in Galle
- Transportation in Galle
- Nightlife in Galle
- Restaurants in Galle
- Shopping in Galle
- Warnings and Dangers in Galle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Galle
- 8 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Galle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Galle
Photos in GalleSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durness Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Perth Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Adelaide Intro, 11 reviews, 7 photos
- Sri Lanka Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manchester Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galle Intro, 8 reviews, 7 photos
- Ceduna Intro, 8 reviews, 7 photos
- Kandy Intro, 9 reviews, 5 photos
- Snowdonia 2 reviews, 6 photos