"Packed It, Booked It, Flew Off" Top 5 Page for this destination Cefalonia Island by zizkov

Cefalonia Island Travel Guide: 137 reviews and 330 photos

Summer Dream

Well, the above quote will be (almost) familiar to any fans of comedian Peter Kay, and it is almost the quickest I have ever gone on a holiday - booked on a Friday evening and around 36 hours later I am sitting in a plane at Manchester. Unlike Peter Kay, I wasn't sitting glued to Teletext, but booked online direct with Kosmar. (£179 for a week in July- I'd call that a bargain).

Not sure entirely what I would be ending up with, beyond a basic apartment up a hill, but when I got there - well, decide for yourself if you might like that view ;-)

Summer Dream apartment in the village of Vlachata, resort of Lourdas. View out over the olive groves, over the village to the blue, blue sea, to Zakynthos. The Greek village sounds all around - tinkling of sheep and goat bells, the cicadas in the olives, the crowing of the roosters, the donkey eeyoring.

________

Tranquil villages, houses handed down through generations, the unchanging rural landscape - not exactly. Apart from the impact of tourism, which whilst major, does not dominate the island, what shaped the island was a cataclysmic earthquake in 1953. This left the human landscape of the island devastated. As far as I have gleaned, Fiskardo, at the northern tip, was the only place unaffected: in Argostoli, the capital, only the bridge and about 4 or 5 buildings were left standing.

As it took several years to repair the damage, a lot of islanders left. And when the damage was repaired, a lot of non-islanders moved in.

In my current homepage pic, I am in fact lounging at the harbour of Poros, Kefalonia.

Now, almost every morning I would breakfast on the balcony (whilst my mate went for the 'English breakfast' at the next door apartments).

It was nice and warm (of course) but the sun didn't wheel round to the balcony until about 10:30. So not yet scorching, and it did shine onto the village below, and Zakynthos opposite.

So here we have: orange juice from Cyprus (I couldn'y find any from Greece); sheeps milk Greek yoghurt (mmm, interesting); coffee (though I never quite got the hang of making it Greek style); a peach from the fruit market in Argostli (probably island grown, I certainly saw peach trees); and half a baklava (they are very rich), from the bakery in Argostili (see shopping tip).

PS - the 'English Breakfast' - good, but Cyprus was better, and cheaper: Greek baked beans don't cut the mustard, apparently.

• Pros:Just about everything
  • Cons:Need own transport to get about; too quiet for party animals (hey, that's probably a pro)
  • In a nutshell:Quintessential Greek Island
  • Last visit to Cefalonia Island: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Aug 18, 2005

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2006 at 9:40 AM

Boy could i do with some of that Greek sun and sand right now lol, great stuff.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2006 at 8:14 AM

Great page - so full of information but with personal touch. Yes, Greek coffee is something I didn't like, either but there are so many other delicious things to enjoy!

• ettenaj's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2006 at 11:36 AM

I adore Cefalonia but hate the roads!!!!

• ChristinaNest's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2006 at 1:42 AM

Nice page and great photos! I still have to visit our southern neighbour... Greetings from Sofia

• Purpleshade's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2006 at 1:22 AM

Good warnings. Lesley

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2006 at 8:20 AM

It all looks gorgeous - as for the Captain and his mandolin - don't bother with the film , it's a travesty - rtead the book! leyle

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2006 at 4:00 AM

Excellent info and pics. I didn't think Myrtos was worth the drive...... we ended up with a puncture on the beach!!! Oh, those souvlaki and gyros in pitta. My mouth is watering.........!!!!

• ludogatto's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2005 at 5:24 AM

Great pages...I hope I can scanner my Grece slides - 200 - and put some more Baja California...stay tuned...I see u have cats...my trolley is the bad of my Puzzi!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2005 at 1:30 PM

Excellent page! You've convinced me that I should see more of Kefalonia in future - especially the stunning beaches in your travelogue! I only spent a day here (on a trip from Zante) - not enough time to do the island justice!

• sprdak11's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2005 at 7:14 AM

Great travel page! Greetings!

zizkov

“This is a small corner of a big world”

Badges & Stats in Cefalonia Island

Have you been to Cefalonia Island?

Latest Activity in Cefalonia Island