"Packed It, Booked It, Flew Off" Top 5 Page for this destination Cefalonia Island by zizkov
Cefalonia Island Travel Guide: 137 reviews and 338 photos
Well, the above quote will be (almost) familiar to any fans of comedian Peter Kay, and it is almost the quickest I have ever gone on a holiday - booked on a Friday evening and around 36 hours later I am sitting in a plane at Manchester. Unlike Peter Kay, I wasn't sitting glued to Teletext, but booked online direct with Kosmar. (£179 for a week in July- I'd call that a bargain).
Not sure entirely what I would be ending up with, beyond a basic apartment up a hill, but when I got there - well, decide for yourself if you might like that view ;-)
Summer Dream apartment in the village of Vlachata, resort of Lourdas. View out over the olive groves, over the village to the blue, blue sea, to Zakynthos. The Greek village sounds all around - tinkling of sheep and goat bells, the cicadas in the olives, the crowing of the roosters, the donkey eeyoring.
Tranquil villages, houses handed down through generations, the unchanging rural landscape - not exactly. Apart from the impact of tourism, which whilst major, does not dominate the island, what shaped the island was a cataclysmic earthquake in 1953. This left the human landscape of the island devastated. As far as I have gleaned, Fiskardo, at the northern tip, was the only place unaffected: in Argostoli, the capital, only the bridge and about 4 or 5 buildings were left standing.
As it took several years to repair the damage, a lot of islanders left. And when the damage was repaired, a lot of non-islanders moved in.
In my current homepage pic, I am in fact lounging at the harbour of Poros, Kefalonia.
Now, almost every morning I would breakfast on the balcony (whilst my mate went for the 'English breakfast' at the next door apartments).
It was nice and warm (of course) but the sun didn't wheel round to the balcony until about 10:30. So not yet scorching, and it did shine onto the village below, and Zakynthos opposite.
So here we have: orange juice from Cyprus (I couldn'y find any from Greece); sheeps milk Greek yoghurt (mmm, interesting); coffee (though I never quite got the hang of making it Greek style); a peach from the fruit market in Argostli (probably island grown, I certainly saw peach trees); and half a baklava (they are very rich), from the bakery in Argostili (see shopping tip).
PS - the 'English Breakfast' - good, but Cyprus was better, and cheaper: Greek baked beans don't cut the mustard, apparently.
- Pros:Just about everything
- Cons:Need own transport to get about; too quiet for party animals (hey, that's probably a pro)
- In a nutshell:Quintessential Greek Island
I'm not one to gothically haunt graveyards, but I will tend to pop in if I see an interesting one. And I don't know if I... more travel advice
More a grill than a bbq, nothing fancy, but cheap and tasty. Situated by the giant plane tree in the centre of Lourdata,... more travel advice
zizkov's Related Pages
Cefalonia Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Captain Corelli and a lot more!"
- "Cefalonia, the sheep head shaped island."
- "Packed It, Booked It, Flew Off"
- "Kefalonia: an island of contrasts"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cefalonia Island
- Hotels in Cefalonia Island
- Transportation in Cefalonia Island
- Nightlife in Cefalonia Island
- Restaurants in Cefalonia Island
- Shopping in Cefalonia Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Cefalonia Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cefalonia Island
- 14 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Cefalonia Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cefalonia Island
Photos in Cefalonia IslandSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 29 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stirling Intro, 28 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cefalonia Island Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stafford Intro, 12 reviews, 45 photos
- Central Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Falkirk Intro, 9 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Loch Lomond Intro, 6 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kos Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos
- London Intro, 4 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue