"Very Big Wheel" Top 5 Page for this destination Falkirk by zizkov
Falkirk Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 90 photos
Falkirk is a traditionally industrially based, medium sized, town about halfway between Glasgow and Edinburgh. It is, in truth, the kind of place few tourists venture, because there is not much reason to visit. Claims to fame were the Carron Ironworks (now closed like virtually all of the heavy industry) and Falkirk Football Club. But there is now something world beating. With the regeneration of the canals as a Millennium project, Falkrk is now home to The Falkirk Wheel, the worlds largest rotating boat lift.
The Falkirk Steeple is the traditional symbol of Falkirk, situated right at the heart of the town, on the High St. Not attached to a church, it has been many things over its history, and is currently a booking office for council-involved events such as concerts. Features on the badge of Falkirk FC and the town crest, along with the motto 'Touch Ane, Touch A'. (Roughly translated as 'touch one Falkirk Bairn, and the rest will give you a doing').
Then again, the high flats around Callander Park are something that can be taken as a landmark of Falkirk from quite a distance..
- Pros:The Wheel, Callander Park, Genuine Scottish Town
- Cons:Genuine Scottish Town, dirty, ned culture
- In a nutshell:Well, you would get away from the tourists
The big park is Callendar Park, which surrounds the big house, Callendar House. There is a par three pay and play golf... more travel advice
"I feel like I am looking into a long dark tunnel, there is a tiny circle of light, it is drawing me forward..." No, I... more travel advice
zizkov's Related Pages
Falkirk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Big Wheel Keep On Turnin'"
- "Very Big Wheel"
- "I didn't really visit it at all."
- "Falkirk Wheel"
- "Falkirk - the wheel and other things"
- "Falkirk, a town full of history"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Falkirk
- Hotels in Falkirk
- Transportation in Falkirk
- Nightlife in Falkirk
- Restaurants in Falkirk
- Warnings and Dangers in Falkirk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Falkirk
- 9 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Falkirk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Falkirk
Photos in FalkirkSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 29 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stirling Intro, 28 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cefalonia Island Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stafford Intro, 12 reviews, 45 photos
- Central Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Falkirk Intro, 9 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Loch Lomond Intro, 6 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kos Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos
- London Intro, 4 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue