"The Bonnie Banks" Top 5 Page for this destination Loch Lomond by zizkov
Loch Lomond Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 276 photos
Loch Lomond is the largest freshwater loch in Scotland. It stretches from the edge of the Central Belt, up, ever narrowing, like an arrow to the Highlands.
The bonnie banks and bonnie braes (hillsides) are romanticised in song, and , although easily accessible from Glasgow its geography means it is fairly undeveloped.
It has recently been designated a national park and hopefully this will bring some direction to its development there is, I think, scope to enhance it for visitors whilst maintaining its character.
This is a view over to a popular mountain, by Loch Lomond, Ben Lomond.
The picture was taken from the lower slopes of another often-climbed nearby mountain, The Cobbler, with Loch Long and the village of Arrochar in the foreground.
The hill beside Arrochar, Ben Reoch, may look higher than Ben Lomond, but is it a trick of perspective. At the summit of Ben Reach, you would still be 1000 feet short of Ben Lomond.
This is a late afternoon view over the Loch from Duck Bay (one of only a few places where you can sit by the lochside and take a drink). The bottom end of Loch Lomond is studded with islands, some of which can be visited on boat trips (or in your own boat). In the middle ground of the pic is Inchmurrin, the southernmost island.
- Cons:Can be very busy on fine weekends
- In a nutshell:The Highlands an hour from Glasgow
Can you get off the beaten path when you are already out in the country, a lot of which is off the beaten path anyway?... more travel advice
The most southerly Munro (hill over 3000 ft), Ben Lomond (974m, 3172ft) is a popular walk. You need to be reasonably... more travel advice
zizkov's Related Pages
Loch Lomond Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Loch Lomond"
- "LOCH LOMOND"
- "Loch Lomond"
- "a week exploring"
- "The Bonnie Banks"
- "Loch Lomond: A lake with 1001 views..."
- "Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Loch Lomond
- Hotels in Loch Lomond
- Transportation in Loch Lomond
- Restaurants in Loch Lomond
- Shopping in Loch Lomond
- Warnings and Dangers in Loch Lomond
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Loch Lomond
- 6 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Loch Lomond?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Loch Lomond
Photos in Loch LomondSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 29 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stirling Intro, 28 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cefalonia Island Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stafford Intro, 12 reviews, 45 photos
- Central Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Falkirk Intro, 9 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Loch Lomond Intro, 6 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kos Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos
- London Intro, 4 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue