"Stafford - The Midlands" Stafford by zizkov
Stafford Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 98 photos
Stafford, it is fair to say, is somewhere which I had no intention of visiting. I was on my way to Bath and beyond: however my car had different ideas. And judging by my experiences with Stafford garages, it may be the worst place in the country, carwise, to have a breakdown.
However, I decided I might as well see what Stafford has to offer, which luckily was a bit more than first impressions suggested.
The unique feature is the Ancient High House, the tallest half-timbered house still standing in England. It is a little forlorn on the modern High St, with some crappy shops at ground level, but inside, it is quite a construction.
There is also what's left of England's largest motte and bailey castle - the 'castle' itself is the crumbling remnants of a reconstruction - a project crying out for a bit of purpose and imagination.
There are a few (ok very few) parts of Stafford which have escaped 'improvement' which can give you a flavour of the history of the town. These are, of course, about a hundred times more attractive then any of the modern centre.
Another thing: Stafford, although (or possibly because) the centre is pedestrianised, has a chronic traffic problem. Despite the application of enormo-roundabouts and ringways, traffic can be be backed up for one, maybe two miles on the approaches during peak times.
Also in the historic quarter (more of a historic one-sixtyfourth) is the very old St Mary's Church, with some lovely gardens, with benches to enjoy the view. One thing I will say in Stafford's favour, it is very big in the Britain in Bloom stakes, with floral displays in abundance (and a lovely riverside park). Not quite enough to hide the whole town, however.
- Pros:Vestiges of history
- Cons:Anything modern, and the traffic
- In a nutshell:Unfulfilled potential
zizkov's Related Pages
Stafford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Quick Visit"
- "Very pleasant little market town"
- "Stafford - The Midlands"
- "Many years ago I used to go to Stafford"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stafford
- Transportation in Stafford
- Nightlife in Stafford
- Restaurants in Stafford
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stafford
- 12 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Stafford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stafford
Photos in StaffordSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 29 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stirling Intro, 28 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cefalonia Island Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stafford Intro, 12 reviews, 45 photos
- Central Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Falkirk Intro, 9 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Loch Lomond Intro, 6 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kos Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos
- London Intro, 4 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue