"William Wallace was taller than Mel Gibson, y'know" Top 5 Page for this destination Stirling by zizkov
Stirling Travel Guide: 281 reviews and 856 photos
As I live next to, and use to work in, Stirling, I don't primarily see it through tourist eyes. Having said that, it is a nice town with definite tourist interest and a feasible base for the cities and farther afield. And you might have heard that there is a castle here...
...which you can see atop the town, with the Southern Highlands behind. The 'yellow' part is the Golden Hall. A few years back it was comprehensively stonecleaned, and when the covers came off, there was general consternation in town, as it used to be the same weathered grey as the other buildings. Its current hue, however, is how it would have originally looked some six hundred years ago.
The River Forth meanders around Stirling. The area above the foreground fields in the loop is Bridgehaugh, the site of the Battle of Stirling Bridge. Wallace lured the English forces (many on horseback) into a sodden Bridgehaugh and then attacked when they were mired.
There are still regular battles at Bridgehaugh as it is now home to Stirling County Rugby Football Club.
Stirling, as it is now, originated on the hill leading down from the castle. Although much changed over the years, old buildings and streets still exist, such as Broad St (streets in general being quite the opposite of broad a few hundred years ago).
The other main visual landmark is the Wallace Monument, which only dates back a bit over a hundred years. The picture is from the city centre (bridge to Riverside).
- Pros:Tourist sites, good base for touring
- Cons:Officially a city - but that's a very small city
This is a cascade, actually quite a way from Stirling, and would probably be included in a trip to Fintry, if you wanted... more travel advice
Stirling Albion (The Binos) are the local league football team. One of the more recent clubs (dating only to 1945) they... more travel advice
zizkov's Related Pages
Stirling Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stirling - Historic Old Scotland"
- "William Wallace was taller than Mel Gibson, y'know"
- "Stirling Nine Hundred Years of History"
- "HISTORIC STIRLING"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stirling
- Hotels in Stirling
- Transportation in Stirling
- Nightlife in Stirling
- Restaurants in Stirling
- Shopping in Stirling
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stirling
- 28 Reviews
- 93 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Stirling?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stirling
- Posted in Travel Glasgow Forum "Re: Transportation Glasgow to..."
- Wrote a Review Loup O Fintry in Stirling Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Loup O Fintry"
- updated a Stirling Travel Page "William Wallace was taller than Mel Gibson, y'know"
- Commented on one of blackmamba's Stirling travel pages
Photos in StirlingSee All Photos (93)
Top 10 Pages
- Edinburgh Intro, 29 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stirling Intro, 28 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cefalonia Island Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stafford Intro, 12 reviews, 45 photos
- Central Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Falkirk Intro, 9 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Loch Lomond Intro, 6 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kos Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos
- London Intro, 4 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue