Abaj Takalik Things to Do Tips by euzkadi
Abaj Takalik Things to Do: 6 reviews and 13 photos
A huge Olmec head is located near the exit, showing the mixture of influences of the major cultures of the area in the site.
Outside the square is an interesting Olmec carved rock representing an old man in potbelly style.
The main square features the Meso-american style of pyramids. There are two temples, the first one located east, just have some stairs and is almost completely covered, but the second one located west was restored and contains some Mayan stelae and some Olmec zoomorphs in the eastern side, while the western side has only Olmec decoration.
The western side of the second temple, has some fine examples of the Olmec zoomorphs decoration, this one represents a frog.
Some details of the eastern side of the second temple with the Mayan altars and stelae.
There´s a small zoo, with some of the animals of the region. The first pond has a couple of alligators and some turtles common on the rivers around.
After passing the entrance and paying the fee ($6.00 for foreigners), there´s a carpark with some souvenirs stalls. There are some official guides that give a tour through the site, they don´t charge for the visit, but a tip is appreciated. The first stop is a small temple with some altar and zoomorphs.
Next to the entrance there´s a small scale model of how the city was. Most of the site is located inside the private lands of the farm, so few excavations have been made. Only a small part of the city can be visited, but it´s supposed that is the most important part of the site.
euzkadi's Related Pages
Abaj Takalik Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Clonfert Hotels
- Chinon Hotels
- Hacienda Ralate Hotels
- Madridejos Hotels
- Post Office Savings Bank - Postatakarekpenztar
- THE ALHAMBRA
- Cologne Cathedral/ Kölner Dom
- Narrabri Things to Do
- Caribbean and Central America Things to Do
- Newark Things to Do
- Avalon Things to Do
- Plaza de la Cultura - Square of Culture
- Cave City Things to Do
- Fiumelatte - Milk River
- Punggol Things to Do
- Oran Things to Do
Badges & Stats in Abaj Takalik
- 8 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Abaj Takalik?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Abaj Takalik
Photos in Abaj TakalikSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Luang Prabang Intro, 44 reviews, 160 photos
- Kathmandu Intro, 44 reviews, 95 photos
- Bagan Intro, 30 reviews, 97 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guatemala City Intro, 31 reviews, 89 photos
- Gouvernorat de Tunis Intro, 36 reviews, 76 photos
- Córdoba Intro, 29 reviews, 66 photos
- Pokhara Intro, 19 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Namib-Naukluft Park Intro, 25 reviews, 68 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 22 reviews, 69 photos
- Kairouan Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos