"Guatemala City." Top 5 Page for this destination Guatemala City by euzkadi
Guatemala City Travel Guide: 176 reviews and 403 photos
Guatemala.s Capital is actually ignored by the tourist, due to it´s bad reputation of traffic, insecurity and dirtiness. Most of the visitors just leave the airport to Antigua, i think it´s quite unfair. Well is not a beautiful city, but it has some interesting places in the Old City, great Churches, some good museums and markets, and it´s a good place to see the real Guatemala with it´s mixtures of Ladino and Indian culture. And if you take the basic precautions is not so dangerous as it´s said. A couple of days in the city would be enough to see the city´s main attractions.
The city was built around 1775, when the capital was moved from Antigua, after an eruption and a flood from the nearby Water Volcano. In this days is the main governemental, cultural and economic center in the country.
The city it´s divided in zones, with avenues and streets, so is very easy to find addresses. The two main attractions of the city are the Old City (Zone 1) and the new city (zone 9, 10 and 13) the rest of the zones are mainly residential areas. In the Old city are located the most interesting monuments, the Cathedral, the National Palace, the Central Market (great for souvenirs), the National Theater, some interesting churches like La Merced, the Cerrito del Carmen church and some old and degraded colonial buildings. The New City houses the embassies, luxury hotels and restaurants and some good museums like The Museo de Antropologia, the Popol Vuh museum and the Ixchel Museum. Outside this areas zone 11 is important because is the zone where the old city of Kaminal Juyu it´s located.
The interior of the cathedral built in the form of a Latin cross with five naves and two main shrines, contains many... more travel advice
I love the work of Efrain Recinos a muralist, sculptor, engineer and architect, who among many other buildings designed... more travel advice
euzkadi's Related Pages
Guatemala City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Guatemala City."
- "Guatemala City, Guatemala"
- "A short stay in Guate City"
- "Guatemala City"
- "Guatemala City"
- "The Highlights of Guatemala City"
- "GUATEMALA CITY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guatemala City
- Hotels in Guatemala City
- Transportation in Guatemala City
- Nightlife in Guatemala City
- Restaurants in Guatemala City
- Shopping in Guatemala City
- Warnings and Dangers in Guatemala City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guatemala City
- 31 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Guatemala City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guatemala City
Photos in Guatemala CitySee All Photos (89)
Top 10 Pages
- Luang Prabang Intro, 44 reviews, 160 photos
- Kathmandu Intro, 44 reviews, 95 photos
- Bagan Intro, 30 reviews, 97 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guatemala City Intro, 31 reviews, 89 photos
- Gouvernorat de Tunis Intro, 36 reviews, 76 photos
- Córdoba Intro, 29 reviews, 66 photos
- Pokhara Intro, 19 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Namib-Naukluft Park Intro, 25 reviews, 68 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 22 reviews, 69 photos
- Kairouan Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos