"Todos Santos Cuchumatan." Todos Santos Cuchumatán by euzkadi
Todos Santos Cuchumatán Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 56 photos
This small village located 316 kms from Guatemala city, is perched in the Cuchumatan´s mountain range. It´s a very remote place linked with Huehuetenango (Deparment´s Capital) by a very innacesible road, so why to go there? Because the famous All Saint Day´s Festival. It´s an amazing celebration, very authentic with drunken people dancing in the streets to the sound of the Marimba and the impressive drunken riders horse-race. Todos los Santo´s men costume is maybe the most beautiful in the whole country, and just to see everybody wearing this colorful garment is worth the hard trip.
The big wheels are used by the child and the young couples, the dances and the alcohol are for the adults.
People ride the horses very drunk, of course there are casualties, but they believe that these deaths are offerings to the Mayan Gods so that means good crops in the next year. I was really impressed by the horse races, people almost falling from their horses, running very fast i even saw a guy fallen; it´s quite disturbing.
- Pros:Very hard to reach (dangerous road) few hotels.
- Cons:A one in your life experience.
There are two confirmed buses to Huehuetenango at 12.30 pm and 3.00 pm, but i´m shure that during the festival of All... more travel advice
On the second day the action moves to the cemetery, again lot of stalls selling food and drinks, and marimba with drunk... more travel advice
euzkadi's Related Pages
Todos Santos Cuchumatán Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Todos Santos Cuchumatán
- Transportation in Todos Santos Cuchumatán
- Restaurants in Todos Santos Cuchumatán
- Warnings and Dangers in Todos Santos Cuchumatán
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Todos Santos Cuchumatán
- 17 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Todos Santos Cuchumatán?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Todos Santos Cuchumatán
Photos in Todos Santos CuchumatánSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Luang Prabang Intro, 44 reviews, 160 photos
- Kathmandu Intro, 44 reviews, 95 photos
- Bagan Intro, 30 reviews, 97 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guatemala City Intro, 31 reviews, 89 photos
- Gouvernorat de Tunis Intro, 36 reviews, 76 photos
- Córdoba Intro, 29 reviews, 66 photos
- Pokhara Intro, 19 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Namib-Naukluft Park Intro, 25 reviews, 68 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 22 reviews, 69 photos
- Kairouan Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos