"Old Thailand Capital." Ayuthaya by euzkadi
Ayuthaya Travel Guide: 704 reviews and 2,218 photos
Ayuthaya was the old capital of Thailand (85 kms north of Bangkok), located on a series of island of the Chao Phraya river. It was founded in 1350 by king U Thong (or Ramathibodi I) until it was destroyed by the Burmese in 1767, after a siege of 15 months. The site is impressive with it´s ruins of Chedis (sharp-pointed pinnacles) and Prangs (rounded corn-cob shapped stupas). A very interesting one day visit if you´re in Bangkok.
This old capital was conceived as an island fortress, the cannals as streets of communication. It used to had water gates that blocked the acces when necessary.
This summer palace was used by the royal court as a retreat from the hot temperatures of Bangkok in the 17th century. It... more travel advice
Inside the site there´s also a new shrine where is possible to see the offerings and prays of the buddhist people, and... more travel advice
euzkadi's Related Pages
Ayuthaya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Ancient City Glimpse..."
- "AYUTTHAYA -Fascinating Link with the Past"
- "The Ancient City of Ayutthaya"
- "Ayutthaya - Ancient City - A world heritage"
- "Old Heritage"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ayuthaya
- Hotels in Ayuthaya
- Transportation in Ayuthaya
- Nightlife in Ayuthaya
- Restaurants in Ayuthaya
- Shopping in Ayuthaya
- Warnings and Dangers in Ayuthaya
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ayuthaya
- 12 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Ayuthaya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ayuthaya
Photos in AyuthayaSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Luang Prabang Intro, 44 reviews, 160 photos
- Kathmandu Intro, 44 reviews, 95 photos
- Bagan Intro, 30 reviews, 97 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guatemala City Intro, 31 reviews, 89 photos
- Gouvernorat de Tunis Intro, 36 reviews, 76 photos
- Córdoba Intro, 29 reviews, 66 photos
- Pokhara Intro, 19 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Namib-Naukluft Park Intro, 25 reviews, 68 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 22 reviews, 69 photos
- Kairouan Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos