"Sri Lanka´s most sacred city" Anuradhapura by euzkadi
Anuradhapura Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 269 photos
This ancient complex is one of Sri Lanka´s most famous icons. The ruins are located 205 kms north of Colombo in the North Central Province. Anuradhapura was the capital of the island from the 4th century BC until the 11th century AD, and was one of the main political powers in the area during these times. They developed some of the most complex irrigation systems of the ancient world carriying prosperity and economic development to the region, later the city was abandoned after an invasion.
The ancient city contains Dagobas, temples, ruins and monasteries, covering an area of over sixteen square miles (40 kms2). In 1982 it was declared World Heritage Site by the Unesco.
The city is one of the principal shrines of Buddhism. The shoot of the original Body Tree (the tree under wich Siddharta Gautama or Gautama Buddha is said to have achieved enlightenment) was brought there in the 3rd century BC from Bodh Gaya in India and it´s located in a sanctuary near the Brazen Palace. Now this sacred place is visted by pilgrims from all over the world.
Originally from Sri Lanka, this macaque is also very popular in the archeological sites. Also found in large troops,... more travel advice
The first day i used a guide to visit the complex, i had some good conversations with him; he was studiying tourism and... more travel advice
euzkadi's Related Pages
Anuradhapura Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Ancient City of Anuradhapura"
- "First Ceylonese Capital"
- "The first great capital"
- "Ancient Capital of Sri Lanka (Ceylon)"
- "The Ancient city...."
- "The world’s mightiest masses of monumental masonry"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Anuradhapura
- Hotels in Anuradhapura
- Transportation in Anuradhapura
- Restaurants in Anuradhapura
- Shopping in Anuradhapura
- Warnings and Dangers in Anuradhapura
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Anuradhapura
- 16 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Anuradhapura?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Anuradhapura
Photos in AnuradhapuraSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Luang Prabang Intro, 44 reviews, 160 photos
- Kathmandu Intro, 44 reviews, 95 photos
- Bagan Intro, 30 reviews, 97 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guatemala City Intro, 31 reviews, 89 photos
- Gouvernorat de Tunis Intro, 36 reviews, 76 photos
- Córdoba Intro, 29 reviews, 66 photos
- Pokhara Intro, 19 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Namib-Naukluft Park Intro, 25 reviews, 68 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 22 reviews, 69 photos
- Kairouan Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos
Latest Anuradhapura hotel reviews
- Riverina Hotel
- 160 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 7, 2013
- Palm Garden Village Hotel
- 157 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Nuwarawewa Rest House
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 10, 2013
- Boa Vista Guest House
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 7, 2013
- Milano Tourist Rest
- 102 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013
- Galway Miridiya Lodge
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 23, 2013
- Hotel Shalini
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 20, 2013