"City of prayings and cremations." Pashupatinath by euzkadi
Pashupatinath Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 73 photos
This complex located on the banks of the Bagmati river, has the biggest and most sacred temple dedicated to Lord Shiva in the world. The temple was built in the 5th century, and is served by Brahmins priests from Southern India, since the reign of King Yaksha Malla. The temple is of pagoda style, with two level roofs of copper and a gold pinnacle.
The temple is famous for the Shivatri or nigth of the Lord Shiva, a festival celebrated on it and very important for the Hinduists pilgrims. During the festival hundreds of devotes visit the city.
The burning Ghats are a very popular place to be cremated. The Arya Ghat in front of the temple are the cremation place for royalty.
- Cons:A hard experience for non hinduists.
Again as in other sacred cities of Nepal, the omnipresent Sadhus, some of then holy, some of them friendly, some of them... more travel advice
As in other temples in Nepal, monkeys (rehesus macaque monkeys) wander freely around the viewpoint, the Gaths and the... more travel advice
euzkadi's Related Pages
Pashupatinath Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pashupatinath, en route to Bodhnath"
- "Shiva's most pleasant and creative side"
- "City of prayings and cremations."
- "Shivaratri at Pashupatinath"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pashupatinath
- 8 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Pashupatinath?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pashupatinath
Photos in PashupatinathSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Luang Prabang Intro, 44 reviews, 160 photos
- Kathmandu Intro, 44 reviews, 95 photos
- Bagan Intro, 30 reviews, 97 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guatemala City Intro, 31 reviews, 89 photos
- Gouvernorat de Tunis Intro, 36 reviews, 76 photos
- Córdoba Intro, 29 reviews, 66 photos
- Pokhara Intro, 19 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Namib-Naukluft Park Intro, 25 reviews, 68 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 22 reviews, 69 photos
- Kairouan Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos