"Old Royal City." Patan by euzkadi
Patan Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 260 photos
Patan also known as Lalitpur or city of beauty is located three kilometers south-east of Kathmandu separated by the Bagmati river. The city was built during the reign of Vira Deva in 299 Ad. It´s a city full of Buddhist and Hinduist temples and monuments.
The most important attraction of the city is the Durbar Square or Palace Square. The old Royal Palace surrounded by beautiful Newari architecture buildings makes the center of the city. South of Durbar is located the commercial distric the Mangal bazar.
After paying the entrance fee, there are a lot of interesting Buddhist and Hinduist temples like the Bhimsen Temple, The Manga Hiti, the Vishwanath temple, the Khrishna Mandir, the Jagannarayan temple or the ancient Royal Palace. The city lived it´s full glory during the Malla Period (14th to 18th centuries). It was declared World Heritage Site in 19773 with other seven temples of the Kathmandu Valley.
Patan is a shopping paradise, all the streets around Durbar Square are full of souvenirs and antiques shops. I´m not... more travel advice
Most of the visitors just come to visit Durbar Square, but Patan is a very interesting city, with lot of Hinduist and... more travel advice
euzkadi's Related Pages
Patan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The nicest place in Kathmandu Valley"
- "PATAN (Lalitpur in Sanskrit, or Yala in Newari)"
- "Patan the Ancient Capital of Nepal."
- "The City of Fine Art"
- "Old Royal City."
- "Patan Old Newari Capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Patan
- Transportation in Patan
- Restaurants in Patan
- Shopping in Patan
- Warnings and Dangers in Patan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Patan
- 16 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Patan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Patan
Photos in PatanSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Luang Prabang Intro, 44 reviews, 160 photos
- Kathmandu Intro, 44 reviews, 95 photos
- Bagan Intro, 30 reviews, 97 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guatemala City Intro, 31 reviews, 89 photos
- Gouvernorat de Tunis Intro, 36 reviews, 76 photos
- Córdoba Intro, 29 reviews, 66 photos
- Pokhara Intro, 19 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Namib-Naukluft Park Intro, 25 reviews, 68 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 22 reviews, 69 photos
- Kairouan Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos