"Nice Zoo and close to Sumidero Canyon" Tuxtla Gutiérrez by Srechko

Tuxtla Gutiérrez Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 30 photos

Nothing special about this city

I got here from San Cristobal for 2 reasons - visiting the famous zoo and getting to Sumidero Canyon.

The city is quite big and I am happy I decided not to stay there over night. While I was looking for collectivos and buses to take me where I wanted to go, I saw some of the city and it did not look very impressive. Tuxtla looks like typical bigger Latin American city with big market and vendor stalls all over the downtown are. Main plaza looked quite nice and impressive though. That is all I remember.

Zoo

In my guide book, it was stated that Tuxtla zoo is considered the best one in Latin America. Even though I think it is really special, I would not consider it the best. It is quite small, and I've seen everything in 2 hours. The best part is that pretty much all animal species found in Chiapas province are on the exhibition here and you can see them form the short distance. Different kinds of birds and even some deers are walking around freely which was cool.

Sumidero Canyon

This experience was awesome. I got to this small town Chiapa De Corzo by bus from Tuxtla, and there I got on the boat ride through the Sumidero Canyon. We saw a crocodile just meters away and some howler monkeys in the trees. See my travelogue for more...

• Last visit to Tuxtla Gutiérrez: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 18, 2007

Comments

Srechko

“Hungry for impossible adventures”

Badges & Stats in Tuxtla Gutiérrez

Have you been to Tuxtla Gutiérrez?

Latest Activity in Tuxtla Gutiérrez