"Last day in Honduras" Puerto Cortez by Srechko

Puerto Cortez Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 8 photos

This is the town where I spent the last day in Honduras. Puerto Cortes is nothing special, but still the best I've seen in the country. It is located on the sea, but it doesn't feel like it is. Main reason for that is that it that there is a tall wall dividing the town center from the ocean - very strange. After walking for more than 1/2 hour I finally saw the water and what is hiding behing that wall. There are refineries, port and warehouses. The center is quite nice though, and most of life revolves around the main plaza (usual for Latin America).

Waiting for the boat to Belize...

I stayed here overnight as my plan was to catch a boat to Belize. I was happy to be here on Monday, as they only have this service once a week - every Tuesday.

Morning when I waited for this boat was the funnest time I had during my entire Honduras trip. The boat leaves from the very authentic fish market where I had enjoyed the lively local atmosphere and I got to talk to a few interesting locals.

This is the biggest fish I ever saw being sold in one piece on the market. Unfortunately I forgot what kind is it...

• Last visit to Puerto Cortez: Dec 2006
  • Intro Written Feb 8, 2007

Srechko

“Hungry for impossible adventures”

Badges & Stats in Puerto Cortez

Have you been to Puerto Cortez?