"Black Madonna" Loreto by prleprle
Loreto Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 2 photos
Loreto is a place where I spent a week in december '98-january '99 and where New 1999 Year Eve happens to me!
It is small striking hill town that lies inland from the Adriatic Sea and is one of the most important pilgimage resort. The old walled town consists of little more than long narrow street, lined with shops and great square on its end. Piazza della Madonna, elegant square with a baroque fountain that fronts the cathedral is flanked on three sides by the arcades of the 16th century college of the Jesuits (Palazzo Apostolico). That Pallazo contains a picture gallery with works of famous artists. Forth side of Piazza is closed with great cathedral of the Holy House (Chiesa della Casa Sata) late gothic structure with a huge dome.
The chief object of interest is the Holy House itself that is placed inside Cathedral. It is a plain stone building with small black sculpture of the Virgin and Child in Lebanon cedar and richly adorned with jewels, St Luke is allegned to have been sculptor.
The simple cottage at Nazareth where the Annunciation took place and where the Holu Family lived was borne away by the angels in 1291 as the Saracens descended on the Holy Land. It first arrived on a hill in Dalmatia. There it stayed until the 1294, when it was again miraculously moved, this time across the Adriatic Sea to a laurel grove. Its final resting place was a few miles away in the middle of a public highway on the top of the hill of Loreto.
prleprle's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Loreto
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Loreto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Loreto
Top 10 Pages
- Novi Sad Intro, 64 reviews, 191 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vrsac Intro, 49 reviews, 169 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Chalkidiki Intro, 36 reviews, 119 photos
- Budapest Intro, 32 reviews, 120 photos
- Krakow Intro, 36 reviews, 111 photos
- Fruska Gora Nacionalni Park Intro, 42 reviews, 96 photos
- Ohrid Intro, 33 reviews, 97 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 41 reviews, 83 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kezmarok Intro, 30 reviews, 93 photos
- Studenica Intro, 19 reviews, 67 photos