"Melon Capital, that's about it!" Chinchilla by sklc

Chinchilla Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 27 photos

Anzac Day in Chinchilla

The most beautiful, interesting and significant picture I've taken in Chinchilla was of the war monument on Anzac Day 2007. In fact, this is the most important holiday in Australia and New Zealand where in the morning, dawn services are held in every suburb to commemorate lives lost at the Battle of Gallipoli.

Hibiscus reminds me of home

Well, my short stint in Chinchilla is less lonely with these hibiscus adorning the gardens. Although Chinchilla is pretty dry, especially because there is a drought in Queensland, plus winter is approaching... Nevertheless, I've seen red, white, pink hibiscus in full bloom. The hibiscus is the national flower of Malaysia - but the red variety, not this two-shaded one.

Crossing the street to where the shops are

There is only one street to mark the Chinchilla CBD, Heeney Street. And on this street, basically you have a single row of shops. The opposite side has the Shire Council, Cultural Centre and Court House. With hardly any traffic, I must say I'm surprised to see such a grand pedestrian crossing.

• Pros:Quiet town for the likes of you and me
  • Cons:Nothing to do here
  • In a nutshell:Live here and you could forget what it's like out there!
  • Last visit to Chinchilla: Mar 2007
  • Intro Written Apr 30, 2007

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2008 at 1:24 AM

I am really enjoying your pages. I have driven through all these places. Your writing is entertaining and honest. I especially liked how you describe ANZAC Day. Well done.

sklc Works Here!

sklc

“To Live Is Christ To Die Is Gain!”

Badges & Stats in Chinchilla

Have you been to Chinchilla?

Latest Activity in Chinchilla