"There's no other place to eat on earth!" Ayer Itam by sklc
Ayer Itam Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 95 photos
I was born and bred in Penang, grew up in a beautiful home near Penang Hill and return home a few times a year for CNY, Christmas, Mother's Day, Mother's Birthday... etc... weddings perhaps... Before I post a photo of anything else, let me show you a photo of the sumptious food we eat yearly for Reunion Dinner! This is called steamboat where hot boiling broth of chicken/pork is waiting to be dressed with any seafood, meat, vege or meatballs. Don't forget the chilly sauce, soya sauce and sauteed garlic to go with this meal!
For slightly more than RM2, you can slurp and slurp and never get enough of this fishy, vege, noodle dish. Main ingredients are fish, tamarind, herbs and spices, cucumber, laksa noodles (white, semi-transparent) and the all-important prawn paste (the black stuff with is served in a soup spoon). Writing this makes my mouth water!
Since I was a child, I would take the funicular train (Swiss technology) up to see some nice bungalows, enjoy the cool weather, walk through some mist and chow down a freezing bowl of ice-kacang - a dessert you wouldn't want to miss when up on the Hill. I was privilleged to attend a few camps and bbqs up on the hill during those tender years. The memories just make me so fond of Penang Hill. And you know what, it just takes 5 mins to walk from my house to the station at the foothill.
- Pros:Like my mom says, everything you need in one place
- Cons:Traffic is really bad during Chinese festivals.
- In a nutshell:The food paradise of South East Asia
sklc's Related Pages
Ayer Itam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Air Itam - "Black Water""
- "- Ayer Itam -"
- "A view of Ayer Itam from my home"
- "Air Itam market's Koay Teow Th'ng"
- "There's no other place to eat on earth!"
- "Kek Lok Si Temple"
- "Temples in Ayer Itam"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ayer Itam
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Ayer Itam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ayer Itam
Top 10 Pages
- Hanoi Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Negeri Johor Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos
- Singapore Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malaysia Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Kuching Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Negeri Perak Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Penang Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos
- Chinchilla Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Miles Intro, 1 review, 8 photos