"SALVADOR da Bahia" Salvador da Bahia by scarm
Salvador da Bahia Travel Guide: 636 reviews and 1,346 photos
Salvador is the heart and soul of Brazil. The center of the historic slave trade, it is the New Orleans of South America. The cultural contributions include African influences upon music, food, and religion. The city abounds with historic Portuguese influenced architechture. This is a world-class tourist site, with lots of local flavour. Don' miss this place
Actually, the Bahia de Todos os Santos (Bay of All Saints) is on one side and the Atlantic Ocean is on the other. The city is a beautiful treasure, with an important history of discovery, iindigenous domination, slavery and exploitation, and a culture that has developed distinctive and endearing music, art, food, and literature.
Salvador is not just a tourist mecca wiith a rich tradition, but it is an important and strategic center for oil production and refining, chemical processing and production, and manufacturing and industry. Salvador is the proud home of the newest and most modern automobile assembly plant in the world, located adjacent to Salvador.
The Salvador environs are home to a large quantity of older structures, dating back to the 17th century. Salvador was the Capital of Brasil prior to the relocation of the capital to Rio de Janeiro. This is an interesting picture, and it represents some of the character of the city. It is alive with people and motion. In this picture you see clothes hanging, a man leaning out a window, and a bird perched on a wiindowsill. This is Salvador, as there are people everywhere, and activity is at ground level, with lots of pedestrian traffic, lots of taxis busses, bicycles, etc.
Yemanja is the best known, and most stagey of the Bahiana restaurants. The food is traditional Bahiana food, derived... more travel advice
scarm's Related Pages
Salvador da Bahia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Salvador da Bahia"
- "Salvador - Africa in Brazil"
- "All I want is some ACARAJE!"
- "Salvador de Bahia: african roots are here"
- "Salvador Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salvador da Bahia
- Hotels in Salvador da Bahia
- Transportation in Salvador da Bahia
- Nightlife in Salvador da Bahia
- Restaurants in Salvador da Bahia
- Shopping in Salvador da Bahia
- Warnings and Dangers in Salvador da Bahia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salvador da Bahia
- 4 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Salvador da Bahia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salvador da Bahia
Photos in Salvador da BahiaSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Brazil Intro, 31 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luanda Intro, 29 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Monterrey Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Parque Nacional do Iguaçu Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ciudad del Este Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Venezuela Intro, 3 photos
- Van Horn Intro, 3 photos
- Oklahoma City 1 review