"Khmer Civilization" Cambodia by suraphona
Cambodia Travel Guide: 8,835 reviews and 24,822 photos
Phnom Kulen is widely regarded as the birthplace of the ancient Khmer empire and is some forty eight kilometers from Siem Reap.
This hilltop site has the country's largest reclining Buddha and it was here that the King Jayavarma II proclaimed independence from Java in 802 A.D.
On this peak in 802 (then known as Mount Mahendraparvata), King Jayavarman II declared himself a Hindu god-king and kicked off the four-century Angkor period of Khmer history that produced the Angkor temples, constructed of Phnom Kulen's sandstone.
After the establishment of Angkor kingdom, Jayavarman II actively waged wars throughout Cambodia and expanded his territory.
He built a temple devoted to god Shiva at Phnom Kulen about 40 km northwest of Tonle Sap.
King Jayavarman II reigned until 834 A.D.; "Jaya" literally means "victorious" and "varman" - "the protector".
suraphona's Related Pages
Cambodia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MORE THAN JUST THE ANGKOR TEMPLES"
- "The country of Angkor"
- "Angkor Archeological Park, Cambodia"
- "Sharrie's Cambodia Dignity"
- "Cambodia 2002"
- "Ancient temples and smiling Khmers"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cambodia
- Hotels in Cambodia
- Transportation in Cambodia
- Nightlife in Cambodia
- Restaurants in Cambodia
- Shopping in Cambodia
- Warnings and Dangers in Cambodia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cambodia
- 1 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Cambodia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cambodia
- Posted in Travel Bangkok Forum "RE: April 2006 - guide/translator"
- updated a Cambodia Travelogue "Phnom Kulen The Birth of Angkor"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Phnom Kulen The Birth of Angkor"
- Wrote a Review Overland from Thailand to Cambodia in Cambodia Transportation
- Commented on one of herzog63's Cambodia travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Bangkok Intro, 87 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 51 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ayuthaya Intro, 30 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pattaya Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jamaica Intro, 24 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chiang Mai Intro, 23 reviews, 15 photos
- Hua Hin Intro, 16 reviews, 14 photos
- Hamburg Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Cambodia Intro, 1 review, 7 photos, 1 travelogue