"Imperial "Lavra" - Holy Žiča" Zica by Aurorae

Zica Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 83 photos

Serbian Orhodox Monastery

Built from 1205 to 1208 AD, by the first Serbian coronated king Stefan Prvovenčani, and his brother Rastko aka Sveti Sava (the most famous Serbian saint), and it is devoted to our Lord's resurrection.

It is on the identical same distance from the Byzantine Empire capital - Constantinople (today's Istanbul), and Western Roman Empire capital - Rome. hus it makes Serbia, and Žiča in particular, a place on the crossroad between Eastern and Western World, which has always caused problems and confrontations in the area, unfortunately...

(page under construction)

• Last visit to Zica: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 19, 2005

• anna-m's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2008 at 3:27 AM

Dugo me nije bilo, i kad dodjem, naletim na ovu tvoju stranu..ne znam kako mi je to dosad promaklo :) Fenomenalno!!

• lpx's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Looks similar to the one in Pec. You need a passport to visit as it is in the KFOR secure zone. It has some 13th century frescos which have awarded it UNESCO protected status.

• GyuriFT's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2007 at 6:00 PM

Not just priests in Zhicha have mobile phones, but monks in Hilandar have servers and the Gigabit Ethernet is being built there with NAS coming sometimes 2008.

• branx's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2007 at 5:45 PM

Jelena what a fasanating insight into this monastry you have provided , I hope to visit it when I come to serbian in June 07. 139 more sleeps and my heart is already fluttering.

• hunwagner's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2006 at 11:32 AM

Inspiring - must admit I hadn1t heard of it before. Now, if I were driving towards Albania... but I won't be.

• Prasnjavi's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2005 at 2:45 AM

What a beautiful monastery. I've visited long, long time ago with my Grandfather, stayed there for two nights and I remember their hospitality and piece around.

• cbeaujean's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2005 at 2:41 AM

during communist years,we had to stay two different times (!!!)in ugly hotel turist ,trg tita in kraljevo...after 6pm the square was overcrowded by people strolling...tks for bringing back old memories,zica,studenica,gradac,sopocani,pec and decani.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2005 at 12:02 AM

What an unusual colour for a monastery. Zica looks like a beautiful place. You have done a great page Jelena!

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2005 at 3:00 PM

You live in a very beautiful country! I have never heard of a monastery that has both genders, and especially one where they can marry eachother!!! I like the description of the godzilla waitresses - I can just imagine what they look like!

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2005 at 4:43 AM

How cool to be the first see your Zica page, sure I have to admit you've done an awesome stunning page :-)))

Aurorae