"L U X E M B O U R G" Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg by Aurorae

Luxembourg Travel Guide: 1,526 reviews and 4,213 photos

LËTZEBUERG

Luxembourg was really a surprise! I knew basically nothing about it before I went, and I imagned it to be a bit boring, to be honest... But in fact, it's not! And it's very beautiful, lovely landscapes, cute colourful houses in flowers and all those fairy tale images. And dark blue roofs with typical architecture...

They have five regions: Luxembourg city and surroundings, Moselle, Ardennes, The Land Of The Red Rocks and Mullerthal (Little Switzerland). Each region has a lot to offer!

They also have a lot of castles. I visited some in Bourscheid, Clervaux, Luxembourg city... I loved Moselle region, where they produce delicious sparkling wine, they stole the recipe from Champagne! I visited two wine cellars and went to wine degustation, mmmmm, it was fantastic! I bought a couple of bottles. :-)One of the cellars, Bernard-Massard, won the top world prize, beating even champagne as the best sparkling wine in the world! I had no idea!

Luxemburgoise are masters in selling more than they have. In Serbia we have much more things that could attract tourists, but nobody cares. There they turned every paddle into a mass attraction, which I really appreciate and admire.

They are incredibly organized touristically, they have brochures and detailed information, Luxembourg card with which you can enter almost 60 museums/boats/rides and all the possible public transport (buses, trains, etc) for free. It really pays off, because it's hideously expensive to do it indvidually!

In any way, Luxembourg was very very beautiful, very interesting, with nice people, the capital is very interesting and peculiar town, unlike any I've seen so far. It has this typical Luxembourgoise architecture, and it's on different levels. There is something they call Grund (like, ground level :-), which is basically a "hole" where you can descend either on foot through a park or in the elevator. There are old houses, museums and restaurants on the river channels.

Luxembourg fort is UNESCO world heritage...

There is something peculiar about Luxembourg that made me like it a lot, it has its charm, and it's truly lovely.

I also met a few nice people. But the biggest surprise was that Lux is full of ex-YU people! Every day on the street I could hear Serbian/Croatian in all ex-YU variants. Dozens of times I was sitting at the station waiting for the bus/train next to someone from ex-YU. Funny, but then I get the urge to chat even though I have no clue who the person is!

In Clervaux I've been to an extraordinary exhibition inside the castle, called "The Family of Man". There are lots of black & white photographs of huge scale of people from all over the world, all ages, from the last hundred years or so. They were photographed in different moments, with family, friends, sweethearts, friends, coworkers or alone, kids too... In happy, sad, working or leisure time... It was lovely! I felt very emotional!

And it gets dark very late there! In the beginning of August it's around 10pm or later, when the dusk starts to settle...

Official languages are French, German and LËTZEBUERGISCH, which is the language of Luxembourg. It used to be a dialect of German before but now it has a status of a different language, which it actually is in fact!

• Last visit to Luxembourg: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 13, 2005

• Aitana's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Thank you for your tips. We are planning to go to Luxembourg to visit a friend. It seems a nice place to go!

• pepemorris11's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2008 at 8:51 AM

Thank you so much. Have managed to find lots of things to do in Luxembourg just because of you. Happy travelling and sharing. God bless

• pure1942's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2008 at 4:44 AM

Hi Jelena, You certainly have an intersting and informative page. I visited Luxembourg when I was younger but can't remember much. Thinking about returning soon. Thanks for sharing your great tips and info. Brian

• thinking's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2007 at 12:06 PM

Bonjour mon ami! Your home pages were very helpful. I especially enjoyed your Luxembourg page. Like you, I knew nothing about the place except that workers get 100% or more of their pre-retirement income.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2006 at 2:25 PM

I used to fly in and out of Luxembourg sometimes, back when Icelandic Airlines was the cheapest way to cross the Atlantic, but I never really stayed and looked around. I'm surprised there is so much to see and do there.

• MichaelFalk1969's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2006 at 1:59 AM

Hi Jelena, great photos of the Northern Lights. I totally agree with Luxemburg, a very nice little country - been there in 2001. Well done!

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2005 at 1:29 AM

Great page, nice country! Hope someday to visit this small part of Europe!

• Dec 16, 2005 at 10:21 AM

Now that's a nice page! Great job Jelena!

• Mikebond's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2005 at 2:09 AM

Ottima pagina, Jelena. Allora, accetti che questa pagina partecipi al concorso?

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2005 at 8:02 AM

excellent page Jelena, brought back good memories

Aurorae

“The Sky Is The Limit”

Badges & Stats in Luxembourg

Have you been to Luxembourg?

Latest Activity in Luxembourg