"ALGER LA BLANCHE ~*~*~ EL-DJAZAIR AL-BAHDJA" Top 5 Page for this destination Algiers by Aurorae

Algiers Travel Guide: 138 reviews and 481 photos

~ The pearl of Maghreb ~

I wish I had arrived to Algiers by the sea, that is how you get to experience the first flavour of this majestic city. But the plane isn't that bad either, at least there is a lovely overview of the Bay of Algiers and how neatly everything looks. And it continues to be so once you land.
I expected dry, arid lands, rocky and sandy landscapes and ruined constructions... Nothing is farther from the truth! Algiers and the surroundings offer some of the most exuberant vivid vegetation and fine architecture, excellent roads and infrastructure, it's a mixture of traditional and classy, ancient and modern... and there are contrasts, especially once you move away from the core of the city, where you find supreme elegance, stylish beautiful white buildings with blue balconies and windows from the French colonial period, that's what marks Algiers' nickname Alger la Blanche - Algiers, the White.

The very core is the old Ottoman city called Casbah, UNESCO world heritage site, an exciting labyrinth that will send you back in time. Then, in the finer outskirts lots of pompous ultra modern buildings and villas, some residential areas from neo-Stalyin baroque (quoting one of my friends in this fantastic expression), over to some poor houses in the very outskirts, ruined in the mud, but all well equipped by satellite dishes.

There are lots of sites of interest to visit in the city, a lovely seafront promenade to stroll, the hilly area offers lots of places with a magnificent view, lots of museums, an opera house, beaches, nearby archaeological sites, vast green fields and forests... The climate is mild and pleasant during the winter (when I visited), with lots of sunshine (in spite of being a rainy season for Algeria!) which is a wonderful escape from gloomy, cold and dark European weather in winter...
And the people! Friendly, kind, hospitable, helpful, smiling...
Algiers indeed was a wonderful discovery! And I simply have to go back!

• Last visit to Algiers: Feb 2008
  • Intro Updated Feb 25, 2008

• Honeybunches26's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2010 at 12:02 PM

would you write to me..I am going to Algeria and need someone with insight to help me...thanks!

• eriksson977's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2010 at 6:08 AM

Hello Jelena, Nice pages. Thank you very much and happy new year to you. Tomas Eriksson :)

• MITNIC's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2009 at 1:53 AM

very informative tips with plenty of good photos. Thanks Jelena.

• maykal's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2008 at 8:39 AM

Fantastic page! I am so jealous reading this, as Algiers has been on my wishlist for a very long time! Thanks ;@P Maykal

• eternel2002's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Hi Jelena.. I like your pages about Algiers.. very good tips and nice pictures. Excellent :)

• MM212's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2008 at 2:33 AM

Exquisite page and beautiful photos. Would like to go to Algiers one day. Thank you for sharing.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2008 at 10:41 AM

Zdravo Jelena! :) Nisem vedela, da je Algiria tako zanimiva dezela. Okolica Algiersa izgleda fantasticno, predvsem Tipaza, Sidi-Fredj in plaza Moretti. Tudi fotografije so krasne! :)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Jean-Louis (JLBG) told me about this page and sent me a virtual postcard with one of your photos of the opera house. It really is an excellent page with lots of interesting tips and fine photos.

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2008 at 1:19 AM

WOW Jelena, it's such a delight to read your Algiers page ! To see all the places I visited, but haven't pictures of. And many other interesting places, I didnt see. You inspire me to visit Algiers again some day !

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2008 at 1:51 PM

You bring back lots of memories, Jelena; and Algiers changed so much! I lived here in 1990-93, it was very different at that time. JL had a good idea to alert me on your page. Nice to see all that again. I will come back for the rest.

Aurorae

“The Sky Is The Limit”

Badges & Stats in Algiers

Have you been to Algiers?

Latest Activity in Algiers