"ALGER LA BLANCHE ~*~*~ EL-DJAZAIR AL-BAHDJA" Top 5 Page for this destination Algiers by Aurorae
Algiers Travel Guide: 138 reviews and 466 photos
~ The pearl of Maghreb ~
I wish I had arrived to Algiers by the sea, that is how you get to experience the first flavour of this majestic city. But the plane isn't that bad either, at least there is a lovely overview of the Bay of Algiers and how neatly everything looks. And it continues to be so once you land.
I expected dry, arid lands, rocky and sandy landscapes and ruined constructions... Nothing is farther from the truth! Algiers and the surroundings offer some of the most exuberant vivid vegetation and fine architecture, excellent roads and infrastructure, it's a mixture of traditional and classy, ancient and modern... and there are contrasts, especially once you move away from the core of the city, where you find supreme elegance, stylish beautiful white buildings with blue balconies and windows from the French colonial period, that's what marks Algiers' nickname Alger la Blanche - Algiers, the White.
The very core is the old Ottoman city called Casbah, UNESCO world heritage site, an exciting labyrinth that will send you back in time. Then, in the finer outskirts lots of pompous ultra modern buildings and villas, some residential areas from neo-Stalyin baroque (quoting one of my friends in this fantastic expression), over to some poor houses in the very outskirts, ruined in the mud, but all well equipped by satellite dishes.
There are lots of sites of interest to visit in the city, a lovely seafront promenade to stroll, the hilly area offers lots of places with a magnificent view, lots of museums, an opera house, beaches, nearby archaeological sites, vast green fields and forests... The climate is mild and pleasant during the winter (when I visited), with lots of sunshine (in spite of being a rainy season for Algeria!) which is a wonderful escape from gloomy, cold and dark European weather in winter...
And the people! Friendly, kind, hospitable, helpful, smiling...
Algiers indeed was a wonderful discovery! And I simply have to go back!
Since Algiers is on the coast, there is an endless shoreline full of wonderful beaches surrounding it. There is a large... more travel advice
Algerian police is doing their best to protect the areas with foreigners, such as hotels and diplomatic zones, but not... more travel advice
Aurorae's Related Pages
Algiers Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ALGER LA BLANCHE ~*~*~ EL-DJAZAIR AL-BAHDJA"
- "Unforgetable El-Djazaïr Al-Bahdja"
- "Algiers the white, the capital of Algeria"
- "ALGIERS - ROMAN AND FRENCH LEGACIES"
- "Alger La Blanche"
- "ALGIERS LA BLANCHE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Algiers
- Hotels in Algiers
- Transportation in Algiers
- Nightlife in Algiers
- Restaurants in Algiers
- Shopping in Algiers
- Warnings and Dangers in Algiers
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Algiers
- 52 Reviews
- 166 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Algiers?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Algiers
Photos in AlgiersSee All Photos (166)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgrade Intro, 113 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Algiers Intro, 52 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lago di Como Intro, 70 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fethiye Intro, 77 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lago d' Orta Intro, 57 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Serbia Intro, 75 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Osijek Intro, 30 reviews, 110 photos
- Tremezzo Intro, 21 reviews, 118 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hurghada Intro, 35 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nis Intro, 58 reviews, 62 photos