"F E T H I Y E" Top 5 Page for this destination Fethiye by Aurorae

Fethiye Travel Guide: 352 reviews and 878 photos

and Ölüdeniz

After the Adriatic, for me this is the most beautiful seaside I have ever been to!
Fethiye is a small town at the Turkish Mediterranean coast. In ancient times it was called Thelmessos, and it was part of the Lycian kingdom in Minor Asia. From those times there are ruins even today, the antic amphitheatre, some sarcophagus and the most perserved - famous Lycian tombs carved in the mountains behind Fethye, but easily visible from the downtown.
Later it was called Macri, which in Greek means "distant", as it was one of the farthest places for the Greek. ;) But, in the first half of the 20th century it got its today´s name, Fethiye, in honour of the first Turkish civil pilot who crashed nearby. :(
The town itself is very chamring, the old center is full of small streets (shopping pedestrian area), where the scent of Orient is the most emphasized! Along the sea there is a beautiful promenade with palms and other plants, lush green and benches, and of course, the port.
From Fethiye there is a lovely hike to the Kayaköy, the unique village protected by Unesco, which is actually abandoned. When Greek people who lived there migrated back to Greece, and Turks who came from Greece settled in other areas, the village remained abandoned. Today it´s a bunch of ruins, and it´s called a ghost village, although it´s not entirely true, since there are belly dance shows and various feasts and festivals being held there daily, as well as horse riding.
However, for me, the pearl of Fethiye area is incredible and magical Ölüdeniz, the magnificant beach and the Blue Lagoon with the Babadag mountain behind, paradise for paragliders (one of the world´s BEST paragliding sites!) and the thick pine forests, a true paradise for mind, body and soul!
Around Fethiye and Ölüdeniz, there are lots of small islands and lagoons, coves and pearl beaches, that boosts the paradise atmosphere even more!
I absolutely LOVED visiting Fethiye, Ölüdeniz and the area, and I will definitely go back there (and probably keep on going back, I´m enchanted!)

-page under construction-

Paragliding

Visiting Ölüdeniz and not going for paragliding is like not visiting at all! ;) You absolutely MUST try this extraordinary experience! I got totally hooked, and after several flights I am more than passionate about starting a paragliding career myself!

• Pros:AMAZING NATURE!!!
  • Cons:Merchants prone to intense cheating
  • In a nutshell:A paradise for all senses
  • Last visit to Fethiye: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 18, 2004

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Have to come back and look at your page here with some time...had 2 nights here in June but didnt have time to get to Saklikent though would love to have had walked there

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2009 at 5:00 PM

it has been a long time since i have seen you on. hope you have been well, happy new year. n.

• kia81's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2008 at 9:48 AM

...only one word...WOW!

• maverick57uk's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2008 at 5:02 AM

this restaurant is now shut and is a small boutique hotel the restaurant is now on red island fethiye bay

• adema29's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2007 at 5:12 AM

Your tips and photos are excellent! When we planned our summer holiday we took into consideration Fethiye, but we did not find any charter flight to Dalaman. Maybe next year...

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2007 at 7:51 AM

Looks like a really beautiful place! Gr8 tips and pictures. I was on the other side of the peninsula in Antalya 1 Christmas week. Thx for sharing.Tim

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2007 at 4:39 AM

Excellent page on my second favourite area in Turkey (Cappadocia is first)! Outstanding pictures and very accurate observations! I want to come back to Oludeniz and Saklikent canyon now!

• Aug 4, 2006 at 11:53 AM

Such an interesting story about the Kaya Village. Thanks for sharing!

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2006 at 12:38 PM

I thought these pages looked familiar! Thanks! Fethiya is now on my must see before I die list. Probably won't shop much - not worth the hassle!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2005 at 1:12 PM

Quality pages indeed. (Like to show you some beaches in Oz though)

Aurorae

“The Sky Is The Limit”

Badges & Stats in Fethiye

Have you been to Fethiye?

Latest Activity in Fethiye