"F E T H I Y E" Top 5 Page for this destination Fethiye by Aurorae
Fethiye Travel Guide: 352 reviews and 878 photos
After the Adriatic, for me this is the most beautiful seaside I have ever been to!
Fethiye is a small town at the Turkish Mediterranean coast. In ancient times it was called Thelmessos, and it was part of the Lycian kingdom in Minor Asia. From those times there are ruins even today, the antic amphitheatre, some sarcophagus and the most perserved - famous Lycian tombs carved in the mountains behind Fethye, but easily visible from the downtown.
Later it was called Macri, which in Greek means "distant", as it was one of the farthest places for the Greek. ;) But, in the first half of the 20th century it got its today´s name, Fethiye, in honour of the first Turkish civil pilot who crashed nearby. :(
The town itself is very chamring, the old center is full of small streets (shopping pedestrian area), where the scent of Orient is the most emphasized! Along the sea there is a beautiful promenade with palms and other plants, lush green and benches, and of course, the port.
From Fethiye there is a lovely hike to the Kayaköy, the unique village protected by Unesco, which is actually abandoned. When Greek people who lived there migrated back to Greece, and Turks who came from Greece settled in other areas, the village remained abandoned. Today it´s a bunch of ruins, and it´s called a ghost village, although it´s not entirely true, since there are belly dance shows and various feasts and festivals being held there daily, as well as horse riding.
However, for me, the pearl of Fethiye area is incredible and magical Ölüdeniz, the magnificant beach and the Blue Lagoon with the Babadag mountain behind, paradise for paragliders (one of the world´s BEST paragliding sites!) and the thick pine forests, a true paradise for mind, body and soul!
Around Fethiye and Ölüdeniz, there are lots of small islands and lagoons, coves and pearl beaches, that boosts the paradise atmosphere even more!
I absolutely LOVED visiting Fethiye, Ölüdeniz and the area, and I will definitely go back there (and probably keep on going back, I´m enchanted!)
-page under construction-
Visiting Ölüdeniz and not going for paragliding is like not visiting at all! ;) You absolutely MUST try this extraordinary experience! I got totally hooked, and after several flights I am more than passionate about starting a paragliding career myself!
- Pros:AMAZING NATURE!!!
- Cons:Merchants prone to intense cheating
- In a nutshell:A paradise for all senses
This is the only restaurant at Saklikent, and it is extremely beautiful and enjoyable! In a very cozy atmosphere you'll... more travel advice
Some parts of the Blue lagoon look like a lake. If I didn't know it was sea, i would have sworn it was lake! The water... more travel advice
Aurorae's Related Pages
Fethiye Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "F E T H I Y E"
- "Fethiye and Around the Turquoise Coast"
- "Fethiye... And Oludeniz.."
- "Fethiye; a heaven on earth:)"
- "Butterfly valley"
- "Scuba Diving in Fethiye"
- "Turquoise Fethiye"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fethiye
- Hotels in Fethiye
- Transportation in Fethiye
- Nightlife in Fethiye
- Restaurants in Fethiye
- Shopping in Fethiye
- Warnings and Dangers in Fethiye
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fethiye
- 77 Reviews
- 117 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 48 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Fethiye?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fethiye
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgrade Intro, 113 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Algiers Intro, 52 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lago di Como Intro, 70 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fethiye Intro, 77 reviews, 117 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lago d' Orta Intro, 57 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Serbia Intro, 75 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Osijek Intro, 30 reviews, 110 photos
- Tremezzo Intro, 21 reviews, 118 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hurghada Intro, 35 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nis Intro, 58 reviews, 62 photos