Vienna Things to Do Tips by blaird
Vienna Things to Do: 3,581 reviews and 7,651 photos
At the front entrance
As we got off the underground we walked up the steps. Curt stopped to check the book, but I walked straight into the beautiful church in front of me without looking at anyhting else. It dominated the area and was so beautiful. I though that it must be St. Stephen's Cathedral (Stephansdom), and I was correct. It is beautiful.
In teh 1200's it was almost all destroyed by fire, which led to a 1300's gothic development of the church. The Turks invaded in the late 1600's, but St Stephens stood. WWII also damaged the church, but in the mid 1900's it was restored and reopened.
Think about that history as you look at the cathedral!
Directions: We took the Underground--get off at Stephansplatz
The Museum of Fine Arts was where we all split off from each other. I like museums, my two friends aren't that fond of them. I went in, they didn't, and we all found out we had fun on our own little adventures.
The Museum of Fine Arts has paintings from such superstars as Rubens, Rembrandt, Vermeer. Something about Rubens work, I love it.
Anyway, the museum was built in 1872 and I thought it was well worth the time.
Directions: No. 1 Maria-Theresien-Platz on the Ringstrasse in Vienna
You can walk up about 300 steps (I think it was 300 something) to the top of the south tower of St. Stephan's and get an awesome view of Vienna. Pulling out some old info, I see that it was started around 1350. It will cost you about $5 to get the opportunity to walk up these steps.
It is like one of those circle stairways you see in thos epsychedelic paintings of stairways going in all directions. I saw a lot of people struggling on the way up, but i say suck it up, quit complaining and climb the stairs.
It is free to go in the Cathedral, and it is worth your time. The pulpit is amazing, the altar is beautiful, there is a crazy tomb for Emperor Frederick III with little scary looking goblins crawling on it.
There is also a crypt with a bunch of the Hapsburgs internals in urns, if that floats your boat.
blaird's Related Pages
Vienna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My birthplace & the place where I feel at home !"
- "VIENNA, AUSTRIA ~ MUSIC IS IN THE AIR !"
- "WALTZ INTO VIENNA!"
- "Rainy day in Vienna 2006, sunny in 2013"
- "VIENNA AND THE PASSION OF ART"
- "Vienna and its never-ending history"
- "Just More then Mozart, Strauss und Sacher torte"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vienna
- Hotels in Vienna
- Transportation in Vienna
- Nightlife in Vienna
- Restaurants in Vienna
- Shopping in Vienna
- Warnings and Dangers in Vienna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vienna
- 8 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Vienna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vienna
Top 10 Pages
- Los Angeles Intro, 41 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 37 reviews, 25 photos
- Ribcev Laz Intro, 23 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Triglav Nacionalni Park Intro, 19 reviews, 17 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 20 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cleveland Intro, 15 reviews, 14 photos
- Omsk Intro, 15 reviews, 11 photos
- Bled Intro, 12 reviews, 9 photos
- Malibu Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- Salzburg Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos
No friends yet.
- Schönbrunn Palace- 304 Reviews, 624 Photos
- Belvedere Palace & Gardens- 180 Reviews, 345 Photos
- Hofburg Palace Complex- 264 Reviews, 587 Photos
- Stephansdom - St. Stephen's Cathedral- 256 Reviews, 533 Photos
- Wiener Staatsoper - State Opera House- 104 Reviews, 194 Photos
- Karlskirche - St Charles Church- 100 Reviews, 188 Photos
- Kunsthistorisches Museum - History Museum- 94 Reviews, 280 Photos
- Wiener Riesenrad - Giant Ferris Wheel- 68 Reviews, 111 Photos
- Hundertwasserhaus- 130 Reviews, 273 Photos
- Grinzing- 15 Reviews, 30 Photos
See All Vienna Things to Do