Vienna Things to Do Tips by blaird

Vienna Things to Do: 3,349 reviews and 6,659 photos

At the front entrance - Vienna

At the front entrance

St. Stephen's Cathedral Stephansdom Review

As we got off the underground we walked up the steps. Curt stopped to check the book, but I walked straight into the beautiful church in front of me without looking at anyhting else. It dominated the area and was so beautiful. I though that it must be St. Stephen's Cathedral (Stephansdom), and I was correct. It is beautiful.

In teh 1200's it was almost all destroyed by fire, which led to a 1300's gothic development of the church. The Turks invaded in the late 1600's, but St Stephens stood. WWII also damaged the church, but in the mid 1900's it was restored and reopened.

Think about that history as you look at the cathedral!

Address: Stephansplatz

Directions: We took the Underground--get off at Stephansplatz

• Updated Sep 10, 2003
Kunsthistorisches Museum - Vienna
Kunsthistorisches Museum Kunsthistorisches Museum - KHM Review

The Museum of Fine Arts was where we all split off from each other. I like museums, my two friends aren't that fond of them. I went in, they didn't, and we all found out we had fun on our own little adventures.

The Museum of Fine Arts has paintings from such superstars as Rubens, Rembrandt, Vermeer. Something about Rubens work, I love it.

Anyway, the museum was built in 1872 and I thought it was well worth the time.

Directions: No. 1 Maria-Theresien-Platz on the Ringstrasse in Vienna

• Updated Mar 4, 2003
Up the Spire - Vienna
Up the Spire Stephansdom Review

You can walk up about 300 steps (I think it was 300 something) to the top of the south tower of St. Stephan's and get an awesome view of Vienna. Pulling out some old info, I see that it was started around 1350. It will cost you about $5 to get the opportunity to walk up these steps.

It is like one of those circle stairways you see in thos epsychedelic paintings of stairways going in all directions. I saw a lot of people struggling on the way up, but i say suck it up, quit complaining and climb the stairs.

• Written Mar 4, 2003
Altar - Vienna

Altar

Inside St Stephen's Stephansdom Review

It is free to go in the Cathedral, and it is worth your time. The pulpit is amazing, the altar is beautiful, there is a crazy tomb for Emperor Frederick III with little scary looking goblins crawling on it.

There is also a crypt with a bunch of the Hapsburgs internals in urns, if that floats your boat.

• Written Mar 4, 2003