"Ticul" Ticul by darthmilmo

Ticul Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 2 photos

From Merida I venture to the small town of Ticul (not Tikal in Guatemala). This town served as my home base for several days. From Ticul I was able to visit both the Ruta Puuc, composed of several Mayan sites with similar architecture, and several interesting small towns. The first day I started things off visiting the incredible ruins of Uxmal. This site has to be among the best in the Mayan world. Its amazing the detail work the Mayan put into building the Palace, even more so when one considers the lack of metal tools in the Mayan world back then. From Uxmal I returned to Muna, a small town with a lovely plaza. The next day I took the Ruta Puuc bus to enjoy four other Mayan Puuc sites. In my head I kept singing that eighties song... 'I think I’m turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so....' hehehe. The tour bus stopped only 30 minutes on each site. The first site was Labna, which has a gorgeous Mayan arch. The second site was Xlapac, which has only one bldg with Puuc characteristics. The third site was Sayil, definitely worth a longer stay since it’s a huge complex. Among the highlights of Sayil is a 3-story Palace with beautiful Puuc craftsmanship. The fourth and last site was Kabah, a site with a huge palace that reminds me of the multi-million dollar mansions with nice lawns that are always shown in the movies. This palace's style of course was clearly Mayan and Puuc. That afternoon I visited the small town of Sta. Elena, which houses a small museum about the town's cathedral and some mummies that were found in the most recent renovation. On my third day in Ticul, I visited the Grutas de Loltun, which is a cavern inhabited since prehistoric times and later by the Mayans. That same day I went to the ruins of Mayapan, not quite part of the Ruta Puuc, but still noteworthy and worthy of a long visit. Check out my other Ruta Puuc Page; and my Merida page.

• Last visit to Ticul: Dec 2000
  • Intro Written Mar 5, 2003

Travelogues (1)

darthmilmo

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in Ticul