"Darien: the last frontier of Central America" Provincia del Darién by darthmilmo
Provincia del Darién Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 41 photos
The Panamerican Highways come to a halt in Panama's impenetrable Darien Jungle. The jungle which penetrates both Panama and Colombia is an amazing place. Unfortunately, it is plagged with guerillas, smugglers, and more.
I wanted to cross the Darien Gap, but as it turned out I didn’t crossed the Darien Gap. However, I did go as far as El Real, Yaviza, and Pinogana. I guess I just didn’t felt comfortable doing it alone. In addition to that fact, the boats were so expensive for a one-person deal that it prevented my travels in that region. In either case, here is what I gathered while I was there... hope it helps if you are heading that way.
The bus from Panama to Meteti ($9 US) took about 7 hours in good weather. From Meteti to Yaviza, the chiva (4x4 truck, $5 US) took 2.5 hours through a dry road under good weather, but then it took 5 hours on the way back through the same rainy muddy road. From Yaviza I took a boat to El Real for $10 US, on the way back though they charge me $5.00 US. From el Real I walked to Pinogana... the locals said it takes about 1 hour, it took me a bit over 2. The path was decent, but really muddy. I then attempted to walk to Boca de Coup, but I stop shortly after Pinogana due to a small river (at least the locals called it like that, it was huge in my opinion) that had developed... it was neck deep
I then attempted to get prices of boats from El Real to Boca de Coup ($100 US), from El Real to Pucuro ($100 US w/ Kunas), and to Paya for ($150 US). Oh, the hotel costs $10 US in Yaviza, and $5-7 in El Real (only one hotel in each town). At this point I just thought it would be too much to finance alone, so I returned to Panama City. As you can see, even if you have perfect Spanish they will still charge you the Gringo price in the Darien!
- Pros:Beautiful Scenery, sense of adventure, a true frontier
- Cons:Expensive $$$ and dangerous
- In a nutshell:Vast Jungle that marks the end or the beggining of the Panamerican Highway in North America.
From Yaviza I took a boat to El Real for $10 US, on the way back though they charge me $5.00 US. This is a short one... more travel advice
Can't recall the name, but there is only one basic hotel in El Real. It costs around $5-7 USD. more travel advice
darthmilmo's Related Pages
Provincia del Darién Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Darien: the last frontier of Central America"
- "In A Paradise Called Darién"
- "Darien Gap"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincia del Darién
- Hotels in Provincia del Darién
- Transportation in Provincia del Darién
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincia del Darién
- 8 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Provincia del Darién?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincia del Darién
Photos in Provincia del DariénSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 249 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Russia Intro, 89 reviews, 146 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 73 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Annapurna Himal Intro, 87 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 78 reviews, 64 photos
- Beijing Intro, 23 reviews, 114 photos, 7 travelogues
- Louisiana Intro, 13 reviews, 121 photos, 6 travelogues
- China Intro, 41 reviews, 73 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Peru Intro, 53 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues