"Auschwitz: A factory of death" Top 5 Page for this destination Oswiecim by darthmilmo

Oswiecim Travel Guide: 365 reviews and 988 photos

This page depicts picture, anecdotes and information on one of the most gruesome places I’ve seen in my life: the infamous Auschwitz concentration camp. It lies within an hour of Krakow in the town of Oswiecim, Poland. Auschwitz is the German name for the polish town of Oswiecim. I visited the original camp at Oswiecim and the larger one at Birkenau, which is located nearby. It took me a whole day so come prepare to spend the day to really see this place. By the way, there is no need to take one of the expensive tours. Just buy a brochure as I suggest in my shopping tip.

Please note that I have taken a lose definition of this location in VT so as to include information, pictures, and tips for both KL Auschwitz I and KL Auschwitz II-Birkenau on one place rather then several pages. I hope it is easier to read and understand.

• Pros:Historic, educational, and true eye opener
  • Cons:Might be depressing and unbearable for some
  • In a nutshell:"Those who forget history get to experience it again"
  • Last visit to Oswiecim: Dec 2002
  • Intro Updated Mar 14, 2004

• May 13, 2009 at 4:51 AM

By entering the german word "konigsgraben" into babelfish I was taken to your site. I was trying to translate the word out of a pic I took at the same place in Auschwitz-Birkenau several years ago. jorge

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2007 at 3:19 AM

thanks for sharing, we are planning a visit when we go to Poland this year.

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2006 at 5:47 AM

Thank you for sharing your visit to Auschwitz, I am currently reading Laurence Rees's book which accounts interviews & testamonials Work brings freedom came from Hoess's own prisoner experience I read

• bobsreturn2004's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2006 at 8:13 AM

Your page has prepared me for what i will encounter this time next week.

• DPando's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2005 at 3:18 AM

i hope to see as much as you next sept !! thanks for such chilling comments

• filipdebont's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2005 at 9:14 AM

Impressive page, on one of the darkest pages of our History. Thanks for sharing. I go there next month.

• Jan 31, 2005 at 8:17 PM

An excellent description of a very sad era for humanity.

• Nov 29, 2004 at 1:56 PM

Your the first person I've seen who didn't translate Arbeit Macht Frei literally! Well done for translating the meaning and not the words! This is the best page I'v seen on this subject.

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2004 at 6:45 AM

As a Jew who has done much research on the subject of the Holocaust over the years, you have done a very good job on your page.

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2004 at 10:34 PM

An excellent coverage... reminds me of Schindler's List! Don't think I'd like to put myself in that spiritual realm but will definitely check out the salt mine :-) Thanks for the amazing account!

darthmilmo

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in Oswiecim

Have you been to Oswiecim?