"Tihosuco" Estado de Quintana Roo by darthmilmo
Estado de Quintana Roo Travel Guide: 4,897 reviews and 11,641 photos
El Estado de Quintana Roo is a very interesting state. It offers so much, including the beautiful Riviera Maya. Rather then repeating myself, i've posted the information of the lovely small town of Tihosuco located within this state.
On the fourth day at Valladolid, I visited Tihosuco to see its unique museum about the Mayan Caste War. This museum shows the struggle that faced the Maya since the first Europeans arrived until the 1930's. The descendents of the Mayan fought hard against oppressive westerners with little success. In fact, from the mid 1800's to the early 1900's the Mayan rebels almost took charge of the Yucatan peninsula, however, they were stopped by the Yucatan forces, and later the Mexican forces. I learned an interesting historic point in this Museum. Similar to Texas, the Yucatan peninsula separated from Mexico in the 1800's and formed its own country. The shortly lived republic rejoined Mexico later that century.
There is an early bus out of Valladolid that goes to Tihosuco. From Tihosuco, one can grab a collectivo to Felipe... more travel advice
This town is definitely off-the-beaten path for even the bus driver didn't know where its downtown was located :). He... more travel advice
darthmilmo's Related Pages
Estado de Quintana Roo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cenotes and visiting the Maya's"
- "A week on the Riviera Maya"
- "Quintana Roo"
- "Quintana Roo and the maya riviera"
- "Mexico Trip"
- "Fly into Cancun and then GET OUT!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Estado de Quintana Roo
- Hotels in Estado de Quintana Roo
- Transportation in Estado de Quintana Roo
- Nightlife in Estado de Quintana Roo
- Restaurants in Estado de Quintana Roo
- Shopping in Estado de Quintana Roo
- Warnings and Dangers in Estado de Quintana Roo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Estado de Quintana Roo
- 60 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Estado de Quintana Roo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Estado de Quintana Roo
Photos in Estado de Quintana RooSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 249 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Russia Intro, 89 reviews, 146 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 73 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Annapurna Himal Intro, 87 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 78 reviews, 64 photos
- Beijing Intro, 23 reviews, 114 photos, 7 travelogues
- Louisiana Intro, 13 reviews, 121 photos, 6 travelogues
- China Intro, 41 reviews, 73 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Peru Intro, 53 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues