"Beautiful Chiapas" Top 5 Page for this destination Estado de Chiapas by darthmilmo
Estado de Chiapas Travel Guide: 636 reviews and 2,310 photos
From Oaxaca I traveled to the state of Chiapas. I spent a few days in San Cristobal de las Casas, a kewl town that I used as a home base to several small trips. I took a kewl horseback ride to the town of San Juan de Chamula from San Cristobal. It was a 5-hour fun ride with fellow backpackers from Australia, Britain, and the States. We were all soar at the end of the trip... jejeje. It had been years since I rode a horse. Anyway, the next day I joined the Brits on a boat ride on the 'Canyon del Sumidero,' which is a beautiful Gorge. I then camped out at the Parque Nacional Lagunas de Montebello, a beautiful park with over 50 lakes... all of which have a different color based on the minerals present in the water. I then hoped on a bus to the sleepy town of Ocosingo, where I had the pleasure of spending the morning chatting with the care taker of the ruins of Tonina... this lady was so knowledgeable on the area, heck she used to own the land were the ruins are located (her name is Maria del Soccorro Espinosa, talk to her if you get a chance!). The poor thing has to do with an extra large land area right next and in front of these amazing ruins found on a hill. We must have talked for hours about the ruins, her life, the EZNL (guerillas in Chiapas), and More!
I then took a bus to Palenque. From there I took a tour into the Lancandon jungle. The jungle excursion from Palenque was awesome! I ventured into the Lancandon jungle with the aid of a tour since the area is not that secure. We were escorted by the 'federales' (police) all the way. During the two days, we visited three Mayan sites and the Lancandon jungle. The first site, Bonampak had impressive steles and Mayan murals in near perfect condition. The second site we visited, Yaxchilan, was engulfed within a jungle. This has to be the best Mayan site I’ve seen so far (well, just went to Tikal, Guatemala today, so Yaxchilan is now the second best... lol). Yaxchilan is not the best in buildings perhaps, but there is something about visiting a Mayan ruins that is the home of a family of howler monkeys. I almost felt like I was in Africa among gorillas for a second there :}. That night we slept on a simple cabin in the Lancandon jungle. The next day we venture into the jungle with a guide. Our guide took us on a 5 hr circuit that included the small Mayan temple of Lacanja.
I returned to Palenque and spent the night there. The next day I visited the infamous ruins of Palenque. The site is huge! This sight is definitely one of the best Mayan sites out there. I loved the palace, which had an amazing tower. The temple of the inscriptions is amazing as well. Among the other kewl areas is the plaza of the cross, which houses several nice temples.
Anyway, read more about these places in this and my other pages.
- Pros:Mayan Ruins, Mayan culture, Beautiful Sceneries, and more
- Cons:None :)
- In a nutshell:Come flavor the culture, nature, and beauty of Chiapas
There is a bus that takes you from San Cristobal de las Casas to Tonina. From Tonina, you can take another bus to... more travel advice
There are plenty of colectivos that ply the roads to Tuxla Gutierez. This same colectivos pass near the Cañon del... more travel advice
darthmilmo's Related Pages
Estado de Chiapas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mexican state Chiapas"
- "Beautiful Chiapas"
- "Canuckmike In Chiapas"
- "CHIAPAS AND OAXACA"
- "Nature, fervor....colors !!!"
- "San Cristobal de las Casas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Estado de Chiapas
- Hotels in Estado de Chiapas
- Transportation in Estado de Chiapas
- Nightlife in Estado de Chiapas
- Restaurants in Estado de Chiapas
- Shopping in Estado de Chiapas
- Warnings and Dangers in Estado de Chiapas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Estado de Chiapas
- 81 Reviews
- 130 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Estado de Chiapas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Estado de Chiapas
Photos in Estado de ChiapasSee All Photos (130)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 249 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Russia Intro, 89 reviews, 146 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 73 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Annapurna Himal Intro, 87 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 78 reviews, 64 photos
- Beijing Intro, 23 reviews, 114 photos, 7 travelogues
- Louisiana Intro, 13 reviews, 121 photos, 6 travelogues
- China Intro, 41 reviews, 73 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Peru Intro, 53 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
Top Estado de Chiapas hotels
- Palenque Hotels
- 217 Reviews - 728 Photos
- Palenque Hotels
- 10 Reviews - 39 Photos
- Tapachula Hotels
- 12 Reviews - 6 Photos
- San Cristóbal de Las Casas Hotels
- 178 Reviews - 598 Photos
- Zamora Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Yucatán Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Ruinas de Yaxchilan Hotels
- 33 Reviews - 138 Photos
- Tuxtla Gutiérrez Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 30 Photos
- El Paso Hotels
- 18 Hotels
- Chiapas Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 29 Photos
- Chiapa de Corzo Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 13 Photos
- Chajul Hotels
- 3 Reviews
- Catazajá Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 4 Photos
- Bonampak Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 50 Photos
- Benito Juárez Hotels
- 1 Hotel