"Beautiful Chiapas" Top 5 Page for this destination Estado de Chiapas by darthmilmo

Estado de Chiapas Travel Guide: 643 reviews and 2,330 photos

From Oaxaca I traveled to the state of Chiapas. I spent a few days in San Cristobal de las Casas, a kewl town that I used as a home base to several small trips. I took a kewl horseback ride to the town of San Juan de Chamula from San Cristobal. It was a 5-hour fun ride with fellow backpackers from Australia, Britain, and the States. We were all soar at the end of the trip... jejeje. It had been years since I rode a horse. Anyway, the next day I joined the Brits on a boat ride on the 'Canyon del Sumidero,' which is a beautiful Gorge. I then camped out at the Parque Nacional Lagunas de Montebello, a beautiful park with over 50 lakes... all of which have a different color based on the minerals present in the water. I then hoped on a bus to the sleepy town of Ocosingo, where I had the pleasure of spending the morning chatting with the care taker of the ruins of Tonina... this lady was so knowledgeable on the area, heck she used to own the land were the ruins are located (her name is Maria del Soccorro Espinosa, talk to her if you get a chance!). The poor thing has to do with an extra large land area right next and in front of these amazing ruins found on a hill. We must have talked for hours about the ruins, her life, the EZNL (guerillas in Chiapas), and More!

I then took a bus to Palenque. From there I took a tour into the Lancandon jungle. The jungle excursion from Palenque was awesome! I ventured into the Lancandon jungle with the aid of a tour since the area is not that secure. We were escorted by the 'federales' (police) all the way. During the two days, we visited three Mayan sites and the Lancandon jungle. The first site, Bonampak had impressive steles and Mayan murals in near perfect condition. The second site we visited, Yaxchilan, was engulfed within a jungle. This has to be the best Mayan site I’ve seen so far (well, just went to Tikal, Guatemala today, so Yaxchilan is now the second best... lol). Yaxchilan is not the best in buildings perhaps, but there is something about visiting a Mayan ruins that is the home of a family of howler monkeys. I almost felt like I was in Africa among gorillas for a second there :}. That night we slept on a simple cabin in the Lancandon jungle. The next day we venture into the jungle with a guide. Our guide took us on a 5 hr circuit that included the small Mayan temple of Lacanja.

I returned to Palenque and spent the night there. The next day I visited the infamous ruins of Palenque. The site is huge! This sight is definitely one of the best Mayan sites out there. I loved the palace, which had an amazing tower. The temple of the inscriptions is amazing as well. Among the other kewl areas is the plaza of the cross, which houses several nice temples.
Anyway, read more about these places in this and my other pages.

• Pros:Mayan Ruins, Mayan culture, Beautiful Sceneries, and more
  • Cons:None :)
  • In a nutshell:Come flavor the culture, nature, and beauty of Chiapas
  • Last visit to Estado de Chiapas: Dec 2000
  • Intro Written Mar 1, 2003

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2005 at 11:59 PM

G'day Fernando. Saw your awesome sunset pix on vt home page and just had to have a look!! Your jungle trip looks fabulous!! Lucky you!! What great pix! Cheers, Ann :o)

• mickshe's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2005 at 8:39 PM

nice picture...and it looks very peaceful.

• zumodemango's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2005 at 2:14 AM

bueno, bueno! voy a mirar el primer vuelo a México hoy y después me voy a Chiapas! Las lagunas de Montebello hacen honor a su nombre y que iglesias mas bonitas y las callecitas! todo! y la naturaleza, todo! todo! maravilloso! allá voy!

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2005 at 2:08 PM

What a gorgeous photograph gracing the home page of VT......thank you. Carole.

• Hmmmm's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2004 at 7:08 AM

Great Pix. Thanks for the 'petite voyage de Chiapas'. Cheers A

• storyin's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2004 at 7:41 AM

very beautiful ~~~

• damaris05's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2004 at 7:25 PM

Very Very Cool Page! Hermosas Fotos! Chiapas seems like a very bello lugar!

• cybercutie's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2004 at 10:15 AM

Great tips! I am going to Chiapas in October for a few months...thanks for the help!

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2004 at 2:52 PM

Wow, what a beautiful part of Mexico this is!

• RedEaredPanda's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2004 at 11:09 PM

What a gorgeous shot of the lake.. Great skills.. Thanks for sharing. Rafik

darthmilmo

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in Estado de Chiapas

Have you been to Estado de Chiapas?

Latest Activity in Estado de Chiapas