"Once upon a time in Russia..." Top 5 Page for this destination Russia by darthmilmo
Russia Travel Guide: 14,410 reviews and 36,698 photos
What can I say about Russia? It's such a vast country that just looking on the map makes you wonder what lies within its borders. I'm not even sure what exactly attracted my attention and convinced to visit Russia. Perhaps it was the ever-lasting Taiga wilderness in Siberia; or the interesting history of European Russia. Regardless of these impulses, I came to Russia half expecting to see the remnants of one of the greatest powers of the 20th century. I imagined myself traveling through the closest equivalent of someone who traveled the Mediterranean region after the fall of the great Roman Empire. Boy was I pretty naive at that time. After a couple of weeks of traveling across the former heart of the Soviet Regime, European Russia, I realize that travel after the fall of communism is more in the tune of traveling in Mongolia after the fall of the barbaric Genghis Khan Empire (granted, it was his successors who actually invaded most of Asia and parts of Europe).
As expected, I did see the decaying infrastructure of what used to be one of the world powers. I arrived among a sea of chaos into St. Petersburg in European Russia. It took me a while to get the feeling of this country, but soon I was on my way across this wonderful country. I spent a full month exploring European Russia. Afterwards, I headed into Siberia for two months. After traveling through both places, I believe that Russia's true beauty lies in the East, in Asia. They try to embrace the western roots and assimilate the East into their federation where instead they should embrace their Eastern side more so then the Western side. Eastern Russia contains Siberia and the Far East. The terrain on this region is so magical that you could spend a lifetime or two without seeing it all. Since life in this region is tough, people have grown more open by relying from each other instead of maintaining the isolation of the West. Furthermore, there is a vast variety of beautiful animal life you can encounter. I promises, visit Siberia and the Far East and you would leave Russia happy. This is what I loved about Russia. I did like the west with all it European roots, but not as much.
Regardless of where you decide to go, you’re bound to face some red tape bureaucracy hindering your travels. I know it may sound scary, but Russia is one of the most unique countries on earth. It may be all weird to us, but after a few weeks there it will surely grow on you. Looking over my pics, I just have to laugh at all the red tape, agony, and effort that I used up while traveling in Russia. The memories of that trip will last a life time. As for me, I will return to Russia someday to continue exploring Siberia and to venture into the Far East. For now, I am happy and content of what I’ve seen and done :).
I want to apologies if some of my tips sound pessimistic as it is clearly against my character. For now, I want to be both objective and subjective at the same time so that I can portray a better picture of what lies in Russia in 2003, which is over 10 years after the fall of the infamous U.S.S.R.
- Pros:Full of wonderful scenery, architecture, culture, people, etc.
- Cons:Red Tape and Bureaucracy may hinder your travels,
- In a nutshell:One of the weirdest countries on Earth! Yet, it's definitly worth Exploring!
The Russians currency is the Rubble. It is further divided into Kopeks. You need not worry about carrying large chunks... more travel advice
Digital cameras are high on the list of many a traveler. I suggest you look into www.dpreview.com for camera reviews... more travel advice
- See All Fishing
- Dictionary and Phrasebook (both)
- See All Typical Russian hand signs and gestures
- See All You'll bound to shope at a Magazin
- See All Hydrofoil in Lake Baikal
- See All Departure day: Check-in and Passport...
- Inflated Tourist Prices
- TUNGUSKA: A Journey into Siberia's...
- See All Sunset at Lake Teletskoe
- See All Largest Hotel in Europe
- See All Shchashchikla (meat on a stick)
- See All South Lake Baikal and Irkutsk
darthmilmo's Related Pages
Russia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "What an interesting country & great architecture !"
- "Once upon a time in Russia..."
- "Russia - my native country"
- "Russia is my second home"
- "Sharrie's Russia Kremlin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Russia
- Hotels in Russia
- Transportation in Russia
- Nightlife in Russia
- Restaurants in Russia
- Shopping in Russia
- Warnings and Dangers in Russia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Russia
- 89 Reviews
- 146 Photos
- 17 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Russia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Russia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 249 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Russia Intro, 89 reviews, 146 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 73 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Annapurna Himal Intro, 87 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 78 reviews, 64 photos
- Beijing Intro, 23 reviews, 114 photos, 7 travelogues
- Louisiana Intro, 13 reviews, 121 photos, 6 travelogues
- China Intro, 41 reviews, 73 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Peru Intro, 53 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues