"Once upon a time in Russia..." Top 5 Page for this destination Russia by darthmilmo

Russia Travel Guide: 15,189 reviews and 40,032 photos

What can I say about Russia? It's such a vast country that just looking on the map makes you wonder what lies within its borders. I'm not even sure what exactly attracted my attention and convinced to visit Russia. Perhaps it was the ever-lasting Taiga wilderness in Siberia; or the interesting history of European Russia. Regardless of these impulses, I came to Russia half expecting to see the remnants of one of the greatest powers of the 20th century. I imagined myself traveling through the closest equivalent of someone who traveled the Mediterranean region after the fall of the great Roman Empire. Boy was I pretty naive at that time. After a couple of weeks of traveling across the former heart of the Soviet Regime, European Russia, I realize that travel after the fall of communism is more in the tune of traveling in Mongolia after the fall of the barbaric Genghis Khan Empire (granted, it was his successors who actually invaded most of Asia and parts of Europe).

As expected, I did see the decaying infrastructure of what used to be one of the world powers. I arrived among a sea of chaos into St. Petersburg in European Russia. It took me a while to get the feeling of this country, but soon I was on my way across this wonderful country. I spent a full month exploring European Russia. Afterwards, I headed into Siberia for two months. After traveling through both places, I believe that Russia's true beauty lies in the East, in Asia. They try to embrace the western roots and assimilate the East into their federation where instead they should embrace their Eastern side more so then the Western side. Eastern Russia contains Siberia and the Far East. The terrain on this region is so magical that you could spend a lifetime or two without seeing it all. Since life in this region is tough, people have grown more open by relying from each other instead of maintaining the isolation of the West. Furthermore, there is a vast variety of beautiful animal life you can encounter. I promises, visit Siberia and the Far East and you would leave Russia happy. This is what I loved about Russia. I did like the west with all it European roots, but not as much.

Regardless of where you decide to go, you’re bound to face some red tape bureaucracy hindering your travels. I know it may sound scary, but Russia is one of the most unique countries on earth. It may be all weird to us, but after a few weeks there it will surely grow on you. Looking over my pics, I just have to laugh at all the red tape, agony, and effort that I used up while traveling in Russia. The memories of that trip will last a life time. As for me, I will return to Russia someday to continue exploring Siberia and to venture into the Far East. For now, I am happy and content of what I’ve seen and done :).

I want to apologies if some of my tips sound pessimistic as it is clearly against my character. For now, I want to be both objective and subjective at the same time so that I can portray a better picture of what lies in Russia in 2003, which is over 10 years after the fall of the infamous U.S.S.R.

• Pros:Full of wonderful scenery, architecture, culture, people, etc.
  • Cons:Red Tape and Bureaucracy may hinder your travels,
  • In a nutshell:One of the weirdest countries on Earth! Yet, it's definitly worth Exploring!
  • Last visit to Russia: Dec 2002
  • Intro Updated Mar 6, 2004

• Neit's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Amazing page about Russia!! And amazing you have stayed in... Tunguska!!

• Inna_S's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2009 at 8:26 PM

It's unfortunate that you base your opinion of Russians (stale, unwilling to work, etc.) by looking at the worst societal elements. What would one say about U.S. society if only the worst elements were considered? Your views are tainted.

• Pablos_new's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2008 at 2:35 AM

Very precise and brief view at a country. Good job! Though it is wrong to blame Soviet Era for all misfortunes - Russia is Russia and it was Russia always. Read more of XIX c. literature to detach Russian from Soviet. ;) Do you plan to visit it again?

• bashboo's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2008 at 2:33 PM

this tip is completely insensitive and politically contentious, if i had more space i would explain further...you are brainwashed too!

• Saringuis's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2007 at 2:47 PM

Great page, pics and tips! Helped me plan my upcoming trip to Russia! Thanks! :)

• Prokonich's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2006 at 6:21 AM

Wonderful tips! you know so much about Russian history! Not all Russian know and saw as much as you did :-)

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2006 at 6:06 AM

I've been dreaming of Russia in recent weeks. thanks for sharing your journey there for me to live vicariously through your tips and pages :)

• yeah_baby's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2006 at 8:43 PM

wow lucky of you to have been here, always been my fantasy place to go to...thanks for sharing beautiful pics and tips

• dlandt's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2005 at 2:01 PM

Yes it is, but I tend ot think the Russian Federation will follow the USSR ater another shock coming from somewhere somehow somewhen. Sad but I kind of feel it coming.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2005 at 11:18 AM

amazing tips and great adventure.. i'm sooo envious... well done.

darthmilmo

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in Russia