"Paihia: Heaven in the Bay of Islands" Top 5 Page for this destination Paihia by darthmilmo

Paihia Travel Guide: 118 reviews and 263 photos

Against everyone's advice, I decided to use what little time I had in New Zealand to explore the North Island. It turned out to be a great choice! I used the time to my advantage and ended up visiting Auckland, Rotarua, Taupo, and Paihia. Heading north from Auckland, you arrive to the beautiful beach town of Paihia where the summers are endless. This paradise on earth served as the perfect way to finish my nine month trip. I got to relax for a week on the beach. The weather wasn't cooperating on me when I arrived though. I spent the first day indoors watching TV as the pouring rain engulf the town. I did manage to pre-book several activities that kept me busy for the rest of my stay in Paihia.

• Pros:Beach, Sun, Rainforest, Sailing, Fishing, Sand Surfing, and more
  • Cons:Might be too touristy for some
  • In a nutshell:It’s a great place to chill out and relax for a week or so
  • Last visit to Paihia: Dec 2002
  • Intro Written Mar 21, 2004

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2007 at 10:58 PM

Nice stuff, thanks for sharing (I'm off there in 2 weeks). Was that "ridding" as in shedding barnacles or a typo!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2007 at 10:51 AM

Glad you didnt listen to those mad fellas who told you not to go!

• SPW's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2005 at 1:23 AM

Your page brought back some good memories for me. Going through the Hole in the Rock was fun: a narrow fit!

• morsonica's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2005 at 12:57 PM

Hi!''Huraru Falls'' photo is such beautiful!

• diver-x's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2004 at 5:38 PM

Sounds like an epic adventure! Love the sand surfing story!

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2004 at 4:46 AM

Sure looks like you had a great time here even when others were telling you not go! I'd love to see a 35 meter Canoe!! Those Kauri trees must be impressive to see! I gotta try that sand surfing someday.......

• marcoparco's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2004 at 5:48 PM

hahaha great sand surfing story!! If I ever have the opportunity I will not pass it up! Cheers

• ncfg's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2004 at 11:24 AM

Great place to explore and rest. I enjoyed your page and your fantastic pics, specially the Kauri tree, i think i found one of that in Tenerife in the Botanical garden.

darthmilmo

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in Paihia