"Joya de Ceren: the Pompeii of the Americas" Joya de Cerén by darthmilmo
Joya de Cerén Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 45 photos
Ever wonder why Pompeii is so well known in the archeological field? The reason behind it's success is all the wealth of information it has been able to provide over the years on how the Romans lived their daily lives. All of this due to the fact that the town was covered by aches by a nearby Volcanic erruption from nearby Mt Vesuvius.
The Joya de Ceren promisses similar results in the most unusual place. The archeological sight lies in El Salvador. As Pompeii, the town was buried by volcanic ash due to a nearby volcanic eruption over a thousand years ago. Unlike Pompeii, this jewel offers a glimpse into the daily Mayan life. This is a really unique archeological sight. See, most of the Mayan sights lie in dense jungle and tropical-forest regions where humidity has destroy many of the daily articles that trully defined their culture. Thanks to the volcanic ash there are many new secrets waiting to be found in this sight.
A word of warning though, this is a sight for the die-hard archeological buff. There are not as impresive as Pompeii and there are not as impresive as other Mayan sights. Yet, they hold a unique glimpse into the daily lives of the Maya. So if you have the time and the will go take a look!
About the picture. This is a reconstructed Mayan house based on actual findings in the sights.
- Pros:Glimpse into the ordinary Mayan life
- Cons:Not enough digs have occured so most still lies underground
- In a nutshell:If you're a die hard archeology buff like myself, you'll love this place!
The Joyas de Ceren is the Pompeii of the Americas. Around 550 AD plus or minus 50 years, a volcano erupted 600 meters... more travel advice
darthmilmo's Related Pages
Joya de Cerén Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Latin American Pompeii"
- "Joya de Ceren: the Pompeii of the Americas"
- "Joya de Cerén"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Joya de Cerén
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Joya de Cerén?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Joya de Cerén
Photos in Joya de CerénSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 249 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Russia Intro, 89 reviews, 146 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 73 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Annapurna Himal Intro, 87 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 78 reviews, 64 photos
- Beijing Intro, 23 reviews, 114 photos, 7 travelogues
- Louisiana Intro, 13 reviews, 121 photos, 6 travelogues
- China Intro, 41 reviews, 73 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Peru Intro, 53 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues