"Colca Canyon" Colca by darthmilmo
Colca Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 311 photos
From Arequipa, I took a bus to the nearby Colca Canyon for a couple of days of fun. It’s an amazing bus ride. I woke up just as we entered the Colca Canyon, which is twice as deep as the Grand Canyon. The vegetation is so different that you cannot compare them both. Watching the snow peaks as we entered the canyon was spectacular. I took the bus all the way to the end of the canyon on Cabanaconde. I had alpaca (similar to llama) steak for dinner that day. It was delicious. I even lucked out and got to see a lovely festival for a local saint going on at the main plaza. I opted not to hike into the canyon today and instead to get a nice view of the unique Andean condors at the Mirador Cruz del Condor. The best view times are early in the morning. Watching the condors at el mirador was a highlight on the Colca Canyon trip. It is amazing how they fly, more like glide, in air in the majestic canyons. I got too see 3 condors flying above me at short distance, of course my camera was not ready (Murphy's Law at its best I guess). Oh yeah, the view of the canyon was breathtaking as well. It was impossible to take a full picture from top to bottom of canyon wall on one photo. I returned that afternoon to Arequipa and took a night bus to Cusco.
Mirador del Condor This is a great place to watch for Andean Condors. The best time is early in the morning. If you... more travel advice
This is often the first town on the Colca Canyon where most visitors stop. The main plaza is lovely and is sourounded by... more travel advice
darthmilmo's Related Pages
Colca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nibbling a hole in the Colca Canyon"
- "Colca Canyon"
- "Tierra del -CONDOR - Land"
- "Colca, simply a great place to visit"
- "El Cañon Colca"
- "Colca Canyon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Colca
- Hotels in Colca
- Transportation in Colca
- Nightlife in Colca
- Restaurants in Colca
- Shopping in Colca
- Warnings and Dangers in Colca
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Colca
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Colca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Colca
Photos in ColcaSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 249 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Russia Intro, 89 reviews, 146 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 73 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Annapurna Himal Intro, 87 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 78 reviews, 64 photos
- Beijing Intro, 23 reviews, 114 photos, 7 travelogues
- Louisiana Intro, 13 reviews, 121 photos, 6 travelogues
- China Intro, 41 reviews, 73 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Peru Intro, 53 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
Latest Colca hotel reviews
- Casa Andina
- 108 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 24, 2013