"Huacachina: a true Oasis" Top 5 Page for this destination Huacachina by darthmilmo

Huacachina Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 119 photos

I came to Huacachina expecting to stay at most one night and one day. My plan was to sand surf the sand dunes with a board for the morning and take a bus out to Nasca at night. Instead, I lost a part of my heart in this lovely oasis. I ended up staying three nights, but there could have easily been more. I made so many fellow travelers at Hostal Casa de Arena that it made me stay a few extra days. Sand boarding was a frightening experience my first day, not as frightening with some alcohol in your body as I will learn a few nights later :). Anyways, my first day was frightening. The walk up the sand dune is tiring to say the least, but the view from the desert on top is amazing. I did some practice on a small sand dune on the back, but ended up falling down every time. I ended up sitting down on my board on the way down :). I didn't stand up until I was almost at the end. Interestingly enough, I found out that if you take your fear of falling, sand boarding is an excellent experience. That afternoon, I climbed to the top of the Sand dune to take some pictures. The 360' view from atop is breathless. You get to see desert all around, except the small oasis of Huacachina. This is just how I had imagined a desert: dunes all over, no life except on or near occasional oasis. I jumped down the dune this time (no not one big jump, jejeje)... let me tell you, it was fun :). I felt like an astronaut jumping on the Moon :).

• Pros:Sand Surf the desert slopes in this amazing picturesque oasis town.
  • Cons:As in the beach, sand gest into everything :)
  • In a nutshell:Oasis, desert, sandsurf, and more!
  • Last visit to Huacachina: Dec 2000
  • Intro Updated Jan 14, 2003

Travelogues (1)

• Mar 31, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Ive seen an article on the internet of this guy completely naked who left the people on his tour to fend for himself because he got completely trashed in the middle of the desert for several days. Maybe not a real consistent guide

• o00o's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2004 at 2:28 PM

Sand Boarding was fun. I had great time there & thanks for your tips.

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2003 at 9:57 AM

The America's answer to the dunes of the Namib. Easy to see why you changed your travel plans. Now get that board over to the White Sands and work on your technique:-)

• anaiis's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2003 at 12:11 AM

thank you for climbing up the sand hills and taking this beautiful photos!

• zentrinko's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2003 at 8:24 PM

Terrific info and pics here. Sounds like it was an amazing adventure, absolutely amazing!

• chancay's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2003 at 6:42 AM

great pics, very good info

darthmilmo

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in Huacachina

Have you been to Huacachina?