"Jungle Expedition: Canoeing in the Peruvian Amazon" Sepahua by darthmilmo

Sepahua Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 27 photos

I had never dream of ever going to a solo jungle expedition in one of the Amazon River tributaries. As fate would teach me, nothing is set in stone while you're on the road travelling. One afternoon in Cusco, I met up with some friends from Israel which I have met up with on and off since Ecuador. They introduce me to an Israeli soldier who was also travelling in the region. He was looking for a partner to go on a Jungle Expedition. His plan was simple: buy a canoe in and around Ivochote and row it down river until Sepahua. At first I said no since I had plan to go to Bolivia, but when I heard the plan I jumped in to the idea. Imagine the endless possibilites of such an adventure. In my mind, I know this would be one of the craziest things that I will ever do.

We spent several days planning it. At one point, my Dutch friend was contemplating coming, but he backed out at the last minute. I kind of new this jungle trip will be the last one for this trip. Let me tell you, I have no regrets on going to the jungle in Peru. It was beautiful! Got to see gators, parrots, guacamayas, exotic birds, and other animals. I even caught this weird looking, but good tasting, catfish. It was nearly a meter long!

Sepahua is a small town in the Peruvian Amazon. This page covers not only Sepahua, but also a detailed explanation on a Jungle Expedition I was part of in 2001. In this side-trip, an Israeli friend and I travelled from Cusco to Sepahua and back to Cusco by land and river transport (the whole trip took us about 2 weeks). To make it even more interesting, we actually bought a canoe and rowed down river for over 500 kilometers from el Pongo de Mananique to Sepahua. It was an amazing experience that I will try to condence in a few tips. The full excerpt on the Jungle Expedition is enclosed in both my Peru travelogue and the travelogue below.

• Pros:No tourists, no modern ammenities, just you and nature at it's best
  • Cons:Arranging transportation is time consuming
  • In a nutshell:One of the best jungle experiences in Peru
  • Last visit to Sepahua: Dec 2000
  • Intro Updated Nov 20, 2002

• bobmx's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2009 at 6:17 PM

sounds amazing. A friend and I are doing same trip in Oct. any help on info on where the individual traveler can stay beyond the pongo for a few days. We plan to cross the Pongo then spend 3 days in lower Urubamba. Any help appreciated

• May 4, 2007 at 4:27 PM

First time here, so I dont know if my email is posted.. here it is: 123u.thiel@web.de Saludos desde el Peru. Uwe

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2006 at 12:22 PM

What a trip!!! Very good tips and photos

• storyin's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2003 at 7:04 AM

thanks again for the info about Urubamba River & and some local spot !!

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2003 at 11:37 PM

Unforgettable adventure! A great a/c... felt like i was there but i know i never would have bought a canoe, lol... but as some people say, never say never ;-)

• Madasabull's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2003 at 8:19 AM

You have given me some good advice about my upcoming trip. And this trip you did, must have been amazing. Nice one.

• SumTingWong's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2003 at 1:30 PM

Sounds and looks like a great trip! Nice info and picts. I should check out the Peruvian Amazon, I've only done the Amazon in Brazil.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2003 at 2:11 PM

FANTASTIC page and expedition! No tourists? Is it possible?

darthmilmo

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in Sepahua

Have you been to Sepahua?