"Chugchilan" Chugchilán by darthmilmo

Chugchilán Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 201 photos

One of the stops in the Quilota Circuit, Chugchilan makes for a nice retreat from your travels. Spend a few days at the homestay-like accomodation at Casa Mama Hilda. During the day you can venture into the sourounding areas by renting a horse or hiking up the mountain yourself :).

The Quilotoa Circuit is one of my most cherich experiences in South America. This is due in part to the phenomenal scenic spots. However, the most amazing part of the circuit is the cultural immersion one goes through in the region. I recommend you leave the couple of fancy B&B behind and spend your time in the local run guesthouses. For the weak at heart, or the lazy folks like me, there is no need to trek the Quilota Circuit for several local buses and, in their absence, trucks ply the routes of this are. So wonder off the beaten path and spend a few days traveling through the Quilotoa Circuit. In less than a week, you can experience an amazing local market at Zumbahua, you can view the beautiful green lagoon of Quilotoa, you can hike around the lovely town of Chugchilan, and you can ride your way out back to civilization on the back of a milkman who buys milk from the locals. I HIGHLY recommend this side trip. I consider it as one of the best cultural trips one can take in South America (or at least what I know of SA).Anyway, more information on the Quilota circuit can be found in my Ecuador (check out my travelogue and tips), Laguna Quilota, and Chugchilan pages.

• Last visit to Chugchilán: Dec 2000
  • Intro Written Oct 12, 2002

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2010 at 6:16 AM

Mama Hilda sounds to be a nice place to stay in and the surroundings looks beautiful!

• jakesanderson's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2006 at 4:52 PM

I totally agree. We stayed 2 nights at Mama Hilda's, using it as a base for an overnight hike we did out into the middle of nowhere. Mama Hilda was wonderful, and they have the only friendly dog in all of Ecuador.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2003 at 3:19 AM

Never heard of the place, fascinating.

darthmilmo

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in Chugchilán

Have you been to Chugchilán?

Latest Activity in Chugchilán