Vilcabamba Transportation Tips by darthmilmo Top 5 Page for this destination
Vilcabamba Transportation: 2 reviews and 0 photos
If you time it correctly, you can go from Vilcabamba to Chachapoyas in as little as two days of NON-CONTINOUS travel. I assume you can take the same route either direction. For purpose of this tip, I will give you the information from the direction I traveled: Vilcabamba to Chachapoyas. Now, it's been a while so excuse the lack of town names in areas of Peru. Basically, you start by taking the bus out of Vilcabamba to Zumba. You'll probably arrive late in the afternoon in Zumba so you'll have to spend the night and catch the first bus to the border at "La Balsa." From there, you can catch a "collectivo" (shared taxi or if you're lucky a small mini-van bus) to the next town, which is San Ignacio I believe. From there it gets tricky. Your best bet to reach Chachapoyas will be a series of one-hour collectivos through several towns in the region. Just ask the locals for help and they will guide you the rest of the way. I managed to do this in 2 days, but I believe it can be done faster now... see, back in 2001, there were no bridges connecting the two border posts. I had to take a balsa boat to cross the river :). By the time you reach the border they may have finished building the bridge crossing the river. Hence, there may be a direct bus rather then taking all the collectivos.
Vilcabamba is easily accessable from Loja. Therefore take a bus to Loja and from there a mini-van to Vilcabamba. The cost is around the same as a bus at under $1 USD per hour of travel.
More Reviews (2)
darthmilmo's Related Pages
Vilcabamba Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Relax in Vilcabamba"
- "A very good time... Un tres bon moment..."
- "Relax and take a breather at Vilcabamba"
- "Ageing hippies and Organic veggies"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vilcabamba
- Hotels in Vilcabamba
- Transportation in Vilcabamba
- Restaurants in Vilcabamba
- Warnings and Dangers in Vilcabamba
- See All...
Explore the World
- Stow on the Wold Hotels
- Gladstone Hotels
- La Plata Hotels
- Arlington Heights Hotels
- Ait Ben Haddou
Badges & Stats in Vilcabamba
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Vilcabamba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vilcabamba
Photos in VilcabambaSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 249 reviews, 272 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Russia Intro, 89 reviews, 146 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 73 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Annapurna Himal Intro, 87 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 78 reviews, 64 photos
- Beijing Intro, 23 reviews, 114 photos, 7 travelogues
- Louisiana Intro, 13 reviews, 121 photos, 6 travelogues
- China Intro, 41 reviews, 73 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Peru Intro, 53 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues