"San Agustin: an archeologist dream :)" Top 5 Page for this destination San Agustín by darthmilmo

San Agustín Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 331 photos

The archeological region of San Agustin is easily reached by bus now-in-days. The San Agustin culture inhabited this region in pre-Colombian times and build amazing Statues. One day, we hiked from the town of San Agustin to the archeological park... it has useful info on the region and has several sites with nice statues. There is even a path through a forest with statues. From there, we hiked the rest of the day across four other sites: el Perutal, la Pelota, la Chaquira, and el Tablon. All of the statues are quite nice, but the best one for that day in my opinion was la Chaquira, which was carved in a rock off a cliff... they have build stairs leading to it and the view off the canyon from here is amazing.

I parted away with the Aussie the second day. That same day, I took a jeep ride to some of the far away attractions in the area through what they call el Anillo Touristico. This was an amazing day... got to see two beautiful waterfalls: Salto de Muriño and Salto de Bordones (the largest waterfall in Colombia, and according to the guide the second largest in South America... I took the last part with a small grain of salt though). We also visited the towns of San Jose de los Isnos and Obando... along the way; we stopped to see more status at Alto de las Pierdas and Alto de los Idolos (my favorite archeological park in the area). Our last stop of the day was in el Estrecho, were the infamous Colombian river, the Rio Magdalena is at its narrowest (less then 2 meters). The river just moves through this amazing rock formation at a fast pace... some dare to jump the river here, but many have died... I just enjoyed the view...jejeje.

• Intro Written Oct 12, 2002

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2006 at 4:28 AM

Stone figures and landscape looks amazing!

• travelinxs's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2004 at 4:04 PM

Very useful stuff here - thanks. Hope to visit next week, so great to see some photos of what its all about. Cheers.

darthmilmo

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in San Agustín

Have you been to San Agustín?

Photos in San Agustín