"Annapurna Conservation Area - a Trekking Guide" Top 5 Page for this destination Annapurna Himal by darthmilmo

Annapurna Himal Travel Guide: 197 reviews and 457 photos

The Annapurna Conservation Area boasts some of the best treks in the planet. You can choose between a few days to a few months of rewarding trails. I had the pleasure of trekking thru this region with Kristof, a friend from Belgium. We managed to hike thru the Annapurna Circuit and the Annapurna Sanctuary trails. They are spectacular!

This page in particular is designed as a guide to would be hikers in the region. Please keep in mind that nothing is set in stone in remote areas of the Himalayas so do expect things to change by the time you make it over there. Also, do take weather into account as it’s subject to change. You may get stranded for a few days waiting for a snow storm or rain to pass.

As for times given on the “Things to do” tips, all I ask is for you to please take it as an estimate. The times given in the tips do not (DO NOT) include brakes such as the ones you’ll need to eat lunch, drink tea, enjoy the scenery, or to simply take pictures. If you are a gun-ho hiker then you will find the times given to be too long for you. If you prefer to take it easy and go slowly, then you will find you will be rushing to complete the trek with the times given. I guess the best thing is for you to take things at your own pace. We met this couple from California who where doing the Jomosom trail (typically 7-11 days) in a leisurely 5 weeks! It allowed them time to stay more then a few days in their favorite villages doing side-treks and the like. Personally, I would rather have more time to burn, then being rushed to the end. After all, we all travel to enjoy ourselves, no???

Note: All pictures are copyrighted by darthmilmo - 2004

• Pros:Mesmerizing sceneries, Snowy Mountains, Friendly and diverse people, and more
  • Cons:At times it may seem like it's too much of an effort to hike over there
  • In a nutshell:One of the best treking regions in the planet.
  • Last visit to Annapurna Himal: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 15, 2005

Travelogues (1)

• day-at-the-beach's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I really enjoyed reading about your trek! Loved your photos too! I am just really curious as to what time of year you went on this trek?? Thanks for sharing your adventure!

• Oct 28, 2009 at 7:54 AM

I found out I had 94 % artery blockage in my heart after climbing over Thorong La! It wasn't so bad, though. Actually, the hike down the other side I remember most, because of the wind, driven sand, and shaky thighs from constant downhill.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2007 at 9:17 AM

Wow, Fernando, what a fantastic read !! Haha, how good do I know these mental cycles :-) You were really lucky to see the mountains surrounding ABC. And did you hear that the Maoists did actually hurt a Swedish guy recently ?

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2007 at 4:54 AM

Stunning pic of your climb to Thurong La. Excellent tip, too.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2007 at 11:57 AM

I've returned to continue the trek to Annapurna Himal--great commentary and wondrous pictures! You'll not top this experience anytime soon!! Regards from Texas...

• Pablos_new's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2007 at 9:43 AM

Very interesting route. Thanks!

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2007 at 12:55 AM

Every now and then you stumble accross a page that you did not quite mean to visit, but then it grasp you and won't let go. This is one of them ;-)

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2007 at 7:54 PM

What an adventure! Would love to do this trek. Great photos and info, will have to read the rest of it when I have more time.

• aGaby's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2006 at 8:05 AM

Great landscape, I like especially the picture en route to the Thorong La, that was featured on the home-page of VT, when I logged in !

• harirasik's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2006 at 1:12 AM

Your Annapurna page is very impressive and I was so hapy to go through.. Greetings from Nepal.

darthmilmo

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in Annapurna Himal

Have you been to Annapurna Himal?

Latest Activity in Annapurna Himal