"Huntspatch" Top 5 Page for this destination Huntsville by kyrzar
Huntsville Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 185 photos
As a note of warning, Huntsville is my hometown, and I'm coming off a bitter divorce, so I may not have the best things to say about the 'Ville sometimes. If you're from somewhere else, though, I guess it's as interesting a place as any.
Huntsville's one main claim to fame is, of course, space. Marshall Space Flight Center used to be the main place for making the stuff that sent people into space like the Saturn V (extraneous photo omitted). All the engineers involved have made huntsville into something of a nerd-town. Have I been effected by this fact? Of course not.
The more I travel, though, the more I realize that Huntsville definitely has a certain amount individuality for better or worse. Pocket protectors, wide roads, and green mountains.
Huntsville, for all it's sprawl, can be mildly (very mildly) photogenic with Monte Sano behind it. While this serves to make Huntsville's meager skyline seem even more meagar, it gives the town a green backdrop and good place to look off at the lights.
In 50 years, Huntsville went from a sleepy little town of about 20 thousand to a bustling metropolis (no sarcasm here) of almost a quarter million, thanks to the space race and the cold war. Most of this happened in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, so you might can guess what this means: endless miles of ranch-style homes, subdivisions and stripmalls. Huntsville just sprawled itself out across the cotton fields and cow pastures in an endless spaghetti of roads. I've often heard newcomers talk about getting lost.
Despite all this, Huntsville does have the remnants of that sleepy little southern town founded around Big Spring (picture to left, don't mind Jason there). There's the depot captured in the civil war and quite a few old mansions. My favorites are the old cotton mill towns. They have several interesting old houses and little old shops. However, thanks to fire and good old-fashioned dim-witted progressivism, Merrimack is the only mill left. This is the same progressivism that replaced Huntsville's old neoclassical courthouse with that thing you can see in the background of the picture.
- Pros:plenty of parking
- Cons:strip malls
- In a nutshell:put on your pocket protectors
If you came to Huntsville on purpose, and you're not here to visit somebody specific, you're probably (a few bolts short... more travel advice
Their barbecue is particularly tender. It's served in the local style; you put the sauce on, either hot sauce or white... more travel advice
kyrzar's Related Pages
Huntsville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rocket City -- Home Sweet Home"
- "Jim_Eliason's Huntsville Page"
- "Gateway to Space"
- "Huntsville, Alabama"
- "downtown Huntsville, AL"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Huntsville
- Hotels in Huntsville
- Transportation in Huntsville
- Restaurants in Huntsville
- Shopping in Huntsville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Huntsville
- 8 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Huntsville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Huntsville
Photos in HuntsvilleSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Huntsville Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Corsica Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Portland Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Great Sand Dunes National Monument Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- John Day Fossil Beds National Monument Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Grayson Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Mount Hope Intro, 1 review, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Provincia de Chiriquí Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sandlake Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Alabama Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
No friends yet.
Latest Huntsville hotel reviews
- Residence Inn Huntsville
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 21, 2013
- Best Western Rocket City Inn
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 27, 2013
- Guesthouse Suites Plus - Huntsville
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 30, 2012
- Holiday Inn Express Huntsville-University Drive
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 15, 2013
- Marriott Huntsville
- 102 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Motel 6 Huntsville - Madison
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 23, 2013
- Fairfield Inn By Marriott Huntsville
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 29, 2013
- Americas Best Inns Huntsville
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- Homewood Suites Huntsville-Village of Providence
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Quality Inn
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 13, 2012
- Hampton Inn Huntsville
- 85 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Embassy Suites Huntsville
- 225 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- State Park Cabins-Monte Sano
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 27, 2013