"The Sipsey Wilderness" Grayson by kyrzar
Grayson Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 6 photos
my friend joe and i have been bushwhacking around the sipsey wilderness in bankhead national forest all winter, so I decided to share a little of it with the rest of the world.
Sipsey doesn't have any one special thing that's totally amazing, but it's kind of like never never land with hardly any space between one adventure and another. there are cliffs, canyons, huge trees, rapids, overlooks, sandy creek beaches, and mossy glowworm-covered boulders, but sipsey's specialty is waterfalls. while it doesn't contain niagara or Angel falls, it has waterfalls in every shape and size. i've heard it described as the land of 1000 waterfalls, and that would probably be a good name. Every little sidecreek (and there are a lot, considering alabama rainfall) drops over one.
One thing that never fails to impress me is the water color in sipsey. All of the creeks have this sort of a jade color.
also, sometimes you can be rewarded for going in less-than-perfect weather. when it is raining, the waterfalls are full. in January, we went in a hard cold snap and got to see some impressive ice chandeliers that had built up around the waterfalls.
- In a nutshell:Good Hiking
I'm not a rock climber, but rock climbers do seem to love the wilderness. It has no lack of rock faces and interesting... more travel advice
kyrzar's Related Pages
Grayson Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Grayson
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Grayson?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grayson
Photos in GraysonSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Huntsville Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Corsica Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Portland Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Great Sand Dunes National Monument Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- John Day Fossil Beds National Monument Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Grayson Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Mount Hope Intro, 1 review, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Provincia de Chiriquí Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sandlake Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Alabama Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
No friends yet.