"Amazing nature and alternative lifestyles." Saltspring Island by cachaseiro
Saltspring Island Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 65 photos
Saltspring island is located just off the coast of Vancouver Island and a real paradise for nature lovers.
The island was originally settled by native american indians but has since then had migrations from all over the world, including everything from hawaiians to hippies and black people fleeing oppresion in the US.
Because of that you see a multitude of lifestyles on the island today that makes it a very interesting place to visit.
The ecological movement is big here and organic products are all over the place.
The locals seem very keen on supporting the local shops.
Something i think makes a place even more worth visiting.
My grandfathers younger brother Emil migrated from denmark to North America in 1923.
After being a casual worker on various farms across Canada he ended up in Northern Alberta and Alaska where he hunted bears for a few years among inuit tribes and other adventurous pioneers.
Unfortunately he got snowblind and had to leave Northern Canada but then decided to make Saltspring island his new home.
He was a fisherman back home in Denmark and spend some of his saved up money buying a big piece of land on Saltsping island and a fishing vessel.
He lived on Beaver Point Road near Fulford Harbour where he was fishing from.
From what i gatherd from some old letters i saw he never really got along with the pople from the other end of Saltspring island and when i came to Saltspring i learned that this was most likely because the guys from Fulford harbour were old fashioned pioneers who were mostly single men intereacting with the native indian women while the other side of the island was mostly british who made a big thing out of not having relatioships with natives and even had "bride ships" send from England with british women who would like to leave Britain and start a new life in the new world with a british man (and this was ironicly often former prostitutes) to make sure they had minimal interaction with the locals.
It seemed like Emil opposed this reluctance to interact with the locals and i think the guy was very right in his views.
He had a stroke and spend his last years wheelchair bound, but everyone i spoke to always mentioned how he was still a very active person taking care of his garden and his little piece of forest, even if it meant rolling around steep hills in his wheelchair.
He died in 1973 but some people still rememberd him on the island and i heard many interesting things about him.
Thanks to a lovely lady called Sue Moat from the Saltspring archives i got to meet the oldest person on the island, Lotus Ruckle who had spend her entire life there and lived next door to my grandfathers brother Emil.
At 94 she was still living on her own and she was sharper than most 70 year olds.
I'm very happy i got to meet her and hear all her interesting stories about Saltspring island.
As soon as she heard i was on the island she invited me in to her home for most of the afternoon.
Now that is canadian hospitality.
The most common way of getting to Saltspring is to take the ferry from Scharwz Bay on Vancouver Island. The trip is a... more travel advice
At mrs clean in ganges you have both laundry facilities and also hot showers. It's very useful as most campsites on... more travel advice
cachaseiro's Related Pages
Saltspring Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Amazing nature and alternative lifestyles."
- "This Island Rocks!!!"
- "A Honeymooner's Paradise"
- "Rural country bliss on Salt Spring Island"
- "Saltspring Island"
- "Salt Spring Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saltspring Island
- Hotels in Saltspring Island
- Transportation in Saltspring Island
- Restaurants in Saltspring Island
- Shopping in Saltspring Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Saltspring Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Saltspring Island
- 8 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (133)
Have you been to Saltspring Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saltspring Island
- Posted in Travel Palma de Mallorca Forum "Re: SUMMER JOB 2014"
- Commented on one of canuck68's Saltspring Island travel pages
- updated a Saltspring Island Travel Page "Amazing nature and alternative lifestyles."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Another very important person i met on Saltspring."
- Wrote a Review Take the ferry to Saltspring in Saltspring Island Transportation
Photos in Saltspring IslandSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 74 reviews, 125 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 42 reviews, 103 photos
- Portugal Intro, 43 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vietnam Intro, 43 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brazil Intro, 47 reviews, 84 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 39 reviews, 63 photos, 3 travelogues
- Philippines Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Porto Intro, 29 reviews, 60 photos
- Fåborg Intro, 32 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jordan Intro, 22 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (565)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (10)
Latest Saltspring Island hotel reviews
- Salt Springs Spa Resort
- 78 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013