"through georgia on my bicycle." Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia by cachaseiro
Georgia Travel Guide: 1,396 reviews and 4,440 photos
georgia is one of these places you barely ever hear about and if you do it usually has to do with revolutions or organised crime.
that should not stop you from visiting though.
georgia has stunning scenery and a population with an outstanding hospitality.
i was constantly invited for food and drink when i travelled the country on my bicycle and found that after many years of soviet repression, the people are very eager to meet the world.
i got the idea of cycling from denmark to georgia, because denmark and georgia had to play a world cup qualifying match.
it was really great to tell people along the road that story.
it kinda made them understand why someone would ever want to spend several months cycling that far.
a passionate football fan get's sympathy all over the world.
one good thing too was that because it was such an off the beaten track destination, only 2 other danish fans had bought tickets for the game.
that kinda gave me VIP treatment when i arrived and the danish players and the coach came over and greeted me when they saw me at the press conference before the game.
a real trat for a football fan.
his name is mamuka kvaratskheila, but he prefers to call himself preben.
mamuka caught interest for denmark when he read the fairytales of hans christian andersen as a kid and it grew to a complete obsession, when he watched the danish national football team play in the 80's.
his favorite player was preben elkjaer larsen and when he was in the red army during the world cup in 1986 he deserted the army one night and sneaked in to a neighbouring village to see denmark play uruguay.
after the iron curtain came down he became a big man in georgian football and now works for UEFA.
he is also vice president for FC.tblisi.
he has one room in his house that is dedicated to denmark.
the room is full of danish football posters,little mermaids and portraits of hans christian andersen.
and the clock on the wall runs on danish time of course.
i was invited for dinner at his house during my visit, together with some other danes who were there for the game and i must say that it was one of the most bizarre and fun experiences of my life.
i'm looking forward to september when mamuka and his family comes to denmark for a visit.
- Pros:a population that really put's pride into being hospitable
- Cons:soaring unemployment that creates a lot of frustrated youth.
when you dine together with georgians you will often be expected to drink quite a bit aswell. especially redwine. not... more travel advice
tblisi is the capital of georgia and quite an interesting place. it has an interesting mix of old soviet times and new... more travel advice
cachaseiro's Related Pages
Georgia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of my Absolute Favorite places in the World"
- "through georgia on my bicycle."
- "Across Georgia by marshrutkas"
- "The beautiful country of Stalin"
- "always on my, my, my, my, my, my, my, mind......"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Georgia
- Hotels in Georgia
- Transportation in Georgia
- Nightlife in Georgia
- Restaurants in Georgia
- Shopping in Georgia
- Warnings and Dangers in Georgia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Georgia
- 20 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 33 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (166)
Have you been to Georgia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Georgia
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Where are you going this year..."
- Commented on one of cachaseiro's Georgia travel pages
- Wrote a Review when you dine with the georgians. in Georgia Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "when you dine with the georgians."
- updated a Georgia Travel Page "through georgia on my bicycle."
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 70 reviews, 122 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 42 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brazil Intro, 49 reviews, 90 photos
- Portugal Intro, 43 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vietnam Intro, 43 reviews, 92 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 40 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Philippines Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Porto Intro, 29 reviews, 60 photos
- Fåborg Intro, 32 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jordan Intro, 22 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues